Resident cat not accepting new kittens.

Leigh H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three months ago I rescued three kittens. One 3 month *boy); two 1 month (girls). I already had one resident cat (girl) who is about 5 years old (also rescued). As of 3-4 months later, the resident cat will not accept the new cats. I had them vetted right away and did shots, spays, etc. They are to live in the barn. I immediately put the 3 new ones in the tackroom. The resident was a little off for about a week, and then came back to her normal self. She is a lovely cat. Very friendly and will follow you anywhere. However, she will not accept the new ones after all this time. I still have them separated. The could smell each other through the door and I part up a screen so they could see each. After about 2 months, I let “littles“ out of the tackroom. The resident immediately attached one of them, and I mean attacked. I separated them. Another few days I tried it again, the resident attached, and not just a little. Lots of growing; the little went on her back and didn’t move. The other two littles stay far away, watched and then hid. I have tried this multiple times over this time period. The littles are scared to death of her. During the day the resident is out of the barn (sometimes I take her out). I open the tackroom and they get the entire barn. They are very bonded and can hardly wait until I come and spend time with them. They come running to me. About a week ago, I opened the barn door and let the three out for the first time. The resident immediately took after them growing, etc.; she was on a mission. The littles ran back to me and then the barn. These cats are outdoor cats (I rescued them from a barn). I am not at the point where I think I have to rehome either the resident of the new cats. One of the littles is going to really get hurt. I do not want any to leave. I just do not know what to do any longer. I have tried all the introducing steps many times and am still having no luck. Maybe somewhere out there can give me some insight. Thank you all.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the resident cat spayed as well? Is this cat essentially an outdoor cat, and you want the others to be as well? Are/have they all been in the barn, but separated, unless you are present? Do you leave the barn with the just the screen in between them?

A little more detail might help so we better understand the set up. I have found the hardest, if not impossible, introductions are done with outdoor cats, especially in a setting that is not controlled 24/7, which I am gathering applies to your situation.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my experience, females from different litters have a hard time with eachother. Males are usually easier to adapt. We always integrated outdoor cats by giving them spaces together wherein they are visible but shielded. A very large dog crate for the littles in the middle of the resident cat's normal area for a few hours a day, for example.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leigh H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the resident cat spayed as well? Is this cat essentially an outdoor cat, and you want the others to be as well? Are/have they all been in the barn, but separated, unless you are present? Do you leave the barn with the just the screen in between them?

A little more detail might help so we better understand the set up. I have found the hardest, if not impossible, introductions are done with outdoor cats, especially in a setting that is not controlled 24/7, which I am gathering applies to your situation.

Leigh H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
es, the resident cat is spayed as well. She is an outdoor cat that I found in the woods with 2 siblings. I took her; my son took the other two. The new ones I pulled out of a barn in November; they were in a terrible situation. They are always separated unless I am there. This is 24/7. The littles are locked in the tackroom at night; I have a back door to the barn open at night so the resident can come and go as she always has done. And, they are not together very much even with me there because of the resident attacking. The cats are not left in the barn alone when I have the screen up. I did this for a few weeks and then took it down. They basically sat and looked at each other with a few growls. The resident is a very sweet cat. She actually sleeps in one of the flower pots by the front door and follows me everywhere. She evidently does like the “intruders”. I knew there would be a few scuffles, but nothing like I am seeing. My other cats in the past were separated when I got them for about 7 days and then they got to go outside and everyone was fine. All were happy. I have a 50x60 barn because I have horses. The cats have lots of room and I spend 2-3 hours a day with them. I have not have the doors open since they came here. The few recent times they have gone outside (last week) I was right with them. The resident came from the house and immediately went after them. I stopped it and the kitties went back into the barn. They are so afraid of her. I don’t want them to get hurt. Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

Leigh H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my experience, females from different litters have a hard time with eachother. Males are usually easier to adapt. We always integrated outdoor cats by giving them spaces together wherein they are visible but shielded. A very large dog crate for the littles in the middle of the resident cat's normal area for a few hours a day, for example.
I have used the dog crate many times and they looked at each other but didn't seem to bother the resident. I think I have tried pretty much what I can think of. I am now just at a loss and do not want to regime anyone. I want this to work!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Exactly what did the resident cat do when the little rolled over on her back? Growling doesn't mean much, unless it is followed with an outright, full-on, blood/pee on the ground and fur in the air attack. This MAY not be as bad as it sounds, but the more detail we have, the better we can try to come up with a solution.

Leigh H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Exactly what did the resident cat do when the little rolled over on her back? Growling doesn't mean much, unless it is followed with an outright, full-on, blood/pee on the ground and fur in the air attack. This MAY not be as bad as it sounds, but the more detail we have, the better we can try to come up with a solution.
She laid on her back and didn’t do much. There was a loud growling and lots of noise. The resident was down low, ears back and came right at her pretty quickly. I stopped it when it got louder. It didn’t go into fur and blood. I know they have to have some spats, but this seems much different to me. My three littles are so scared of her. They are all afraid to come out of the tackroom and are on alert. I check the barn and make sure she is not in their when they come out. They are not together everyday because I think someone is going to get really hurt. I am right with them when they are together. They sure stick to me. There will be a time when I will have to open the barn doors and they will go out. I will still lock them up at night. I can’t keep the doors closed with warm weather and the activity that comes nice weather. Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe do a reset and get the kittens out of the barn and into your house. Let them destress, as well as your resident cat. Perhaps a whole other introduction set up is needed. The resident cat is apparently claiming the barn as her own, and having the kittens in there is too much provocation for her at this time. Does the resident cat come inside your house at all? If she does, maybe let her investigate them away from the barn?

What you are doing isn't working, so you have to come up with a Plan B.

Leigh H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe do a reset and get the kittens out of the barn and into your house. Let them destress, as well as your resident cat. Perhaps a whole other introduction set up is needed. The resident cat is apparently claiming the barn as her own, and having the kittens in there is too much provocation for her at this time. Does the resident cat come inside your house at all? If she does, maybe let her investigate them away from the barn?

What you are doing isn't working, so you have to come up with a Plan B.
Thanks for your reply. I have actually tried the reset a couple times and something is still wrong. I am trying to come up with my Plan B and not having much luck. No doubt the resident is claiming her space. I had the kittens in the house a bit over the winter because of the cold. When they were back in the barn, there is a heater in the tackroom and they were fine. I kept them in the basement in our family room. I have a couple large dog crates I put together for them. I also brought them in for a few days when they had their surgeries. I cannot have them living in the house since my husband has terrible allergies. The resident cat has never been in the house. She wants nothing to do with it. And the resident is a very sweet and friendly cat. She sleeps in the flower pot by the front door and follows me everywhere. I thought by letting them outside and out of the barn would help. No such luck.

Leigh H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should add … when the littles are in the tackroom at night, the resident sits right outside their door. There is no hissing. She is quiet; just sitting there.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, the resident cat is apparently OK when the kittens are confined to their own space. The only thing I know to do is set up a catio/cat enclosure that allows the barn doors to be open, but restricts the kittens to a specific area that the resident cat cannot access. I don't know the lay out of your barn or the surrounding area, but I am sure you could accommodate such an arrangement. Maybe eventually the resident cat will get over her territorial behavior as the kittens age.

Leigh H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, the resident cat is apparently OK when the kittens are confined to their own space. The only thing I know to do is set up a catio/cat enclosure that allows the barn doors to be open, but restricts the kittens to a specific area that the resident cat cannot access. I don't know the lay out of your barn or the surrounding area, but I am sure you could accommodate such an arrangement. Maybe eventually the resident cat will get over her territorial behavior as the kittens age.
Yes, the resident is ok when they are separated. I did not think of a catio. Great idea. A large part of my barn is available to do this and I will begin working on this today. Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, the resident is ok when they are separated. I did not think of a catio. Great idea. A large part of my barn is available to do this and I will begin working on this today. Thank you.
I am so glad to hear that you can make a catio! As I said, I am hoping over time, including the kittens' maturing, your resident cat will adapt to their presence to the point that eventually the catio won't be necessary.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think a catio might be just the thing! Somehow, I had not connected "barn" with "enough space for a catio," and I really have no excuse, having a good bit of experience with barns!