Resident Cat And New Kitten!

elishamariem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I'm new to this site and I signed up to ask some advice. I have a resident cat that is about 2 years old..her name is Charlie. She's a fluffy Maine coon mix cat and she loves to cuddle. She is very much attached to me and sleeps with me every night. So recently I adopted a new kitten that is a few months old.Her name is Khaleesi. The kitten is a ball of energy and seems to bother my resident cat. Every time that my kitten sees my resident cat she runs over and tries to play.. but Charlie will not have it. Charlie will hiss and try to bite the kitten. Charlie will pin the kitten and bite her. She never draws blood and never goes for the kittens neck... but it's obvious she's very annoyed with her. I also have introduced them very slowly. I kept them completely separate for a week and a half. I did everything right in introducing them... but Charlie does not like the kitten still. I even bought some calming spray to see if it would stop the hissing... but that did not work. So my question is.. will Charlie ever accept my new kitten? Is there anything else I can do?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - Thanks for coming here! I'm going to bump your post to see if other people with more knowledge of this than myself will have a chance to weigh in.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the jobs that older cats, especially female cats, take very seriously, is teaching kittens to mind their manners and learn who is boss. I think that is what is happening between your cat and kitten and may go on for months until the kitten settles down and the cat warms up to her. Make sure the older cat has a space up high where she can quickly get away from the kitten or watch her from a distance and make sure the kitten has enough play time with you to wear down some of her energy.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its actually good when the older cat is assertive. A lot of times they do the hissing, but just run away and are anxious for quite a bit. When the older cat is more assertive, the kitten backs off sooner and it seems like its just less of a problem all around. susanm9006 susanm9006 has it right. Do the stuff she suggests, but mostly you just have to wait. Where they will end up is an open question. Buddies is still possible.