Resident Cat And New Kitten

elishamariem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I'm new to this site and I signed up to ask some advice. I have a resident cat that is about 2 years old..her name is Charlie. She's a fluffy Maine coon mix cat and she loves to cuddle. She is very much attached to me and sleeps with me every night. So recently I adopted a new kitten that is a few months old.Her name is Khaleesi. The kitten is a ball of energy and seems to bother my resident cat. Every time that my kitten sees my resident cat she runs over and tries to play.. but Charlie will not have it. Charlie will hiss and try to bite the kitten. Charlie will pin the kitten and bite her. She never draws blood and never goes for the kittens neck... but it's obvious she's very annoyed with her. I also have introduced them very slowly. I kept them completely separate for a week and a half. I did everything right in introducing them... but Charlie does not like the kitten still. I even bought some calming spray to see if it would stop the hissing... but that did not work. So my question is.. will Charlie ever accept my new kitten? Is there anything else I can do?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
7320E459-A5C0-4CE9-8278-B79DAD44DFF7.gif
Elishamariem and Charlie, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
0573B402-BD98-489A-9FFF-E1403D54920E.gif
to both of you.

Glad that you’ve joined us and you are in the right place for all things cat.

To get faster and more response to your questions, best is to post them here in Cat Behavior

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! We’re glad to have you here. I have a cat named Charlie, too!

Regarding the introduction, cats are territorial by nature, so introducing them can take some time and patience. But it definitely can be done! This article: How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction gives some very helpful info.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: First off, we love pictures here, so if you have pix of Charlie and Khaleesi, feel free to post them. :camera:

About Charlie's unwelcoming behaviour towards Khaleesi, abyeb abyeb has already posted a link to an article that might have some helpful ideas.

I've heard before that female cats don't always become best buds. :catrub: Have they both been spayed? If not, that might help. Good luck. :crossfingers: