Rescued Cat Escaped Trying To Get Her Back Home

randylampley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
last week one of my cats ran out of my house. She used to be feral, but we slowly transitioned her and she's has been a pretty normal indoor cat the past 4 years. She would originally come in for short periods of time and leave, but she ended up pregnant and she came in our house to give birth and never left.

So she's been out for a week. I have seen her the past three nights in my yard. each time she gets scared runs to the woods not to return. Last night I happened to see her on the edge of my patio, I slowly opened my door she looked at me and ran. Im afraid shes turning back to the cat she was 4 years ago. Looking for any advice.

There are two other cats that have been coming around since I started leaving food outside for her. im afraid they may been keeping her away as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

randylampley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been setting traps but no luck. She acts her old self when I see her now. Just runs as soon as she sees me. I’m afraid she is going back to how she was before she came in my house.

I saw her three nights in a row but not last night. I believe the neighborhood cats that stroll around are keeping her from coming to my patio. They eat the food almost as fast as I put it out. Really loosing hope. Feel so bad.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try getting outside before she would normally show up and just sit quietly awaiting for her arrival - hopefully your presence will keep the other cats from coming so close. Put food out for her, but also keep some of her favorite treats in your hand, and try offering them to her without getting up but just slowly, gently holding your hand out so she can see the treats.

You could also try shaking a can/bag of her food/treats while softly calling to her to see if she might come to you to eat some of them.

If you have neighbors nearby, ask them to look out for her and if she approaches them, perhaps they could gain her trust by giving her food as well. If she is truly worried about you taking her back inside, she might not be as leery of them as she is you. This step is also important in case someone is already feeding her, which might explain why she didn't show up last night.