Rescued Abandoned Kittens

Wilsonk2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found 4 almost dead abandoned kittens 6 days ago their eyes were open ,well some were matted shut but I have no idea how old they are. everthing I find about weight they are about 2 and a half weeks old (they weighed on average about 5 oz each and now weigh 8 plus ounces each )but their teeth are coming in and most are peeing in the box i keep them in .the 2 females get around very good ,the two males are still wobbly. Can anyone help me with how old they are and once I find that out I will have several other questions ? I am going to try to post a short video of them .

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! Thank you for rescuing these kittens! I'll link you to some helpful articles to get you started:

How Old Is My Kitten?

How Old Is That Kitten? Kitten Progression: At-a-Glance

According to these articles, kittens start getting the hang of the litter box between three and four weeks of age. The incisors come in at around three-four weeks as well, so my guess would be that they are around that age. In which case, they are on the small side, according to this chart: Kitten Weight Chart | Ask The Cat Doctor. What food are they eating? Have you gotten them checked over by a vet yet?

Thanks for caring!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wilsonk2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
15589960936718563006225706081117.jpg View attachment 286508
Hi there! Thank you for rescuing these kittens! I'll link you to some helpful articles to get you started:

How Old Is My Kitten?

How Old Is That Kitten? Kitten Progression: At-a-Glance

According to these articles, kittens start getting the hang of the litter box between three and four weeks of age. The incisors come in at around three-four weeks as well, so my guess would be that they are around that age. In which case, they are on the small side, according to this chart: Kitten Weight Chart | Ask The Cat Doctor. What food are they eating? Have you gotten them checked over by a vet yet?

Thanks for caring!
Thank you for responding , sorry it took so long to reply I also have 2 , 3month old puppies with them and the kittens my hands are full .they eat Kmr milk replacement. They are taking 15 to 18 ml per feeding 4 times a day. They have been dewormed once have been checked out by the staff at my vets office bet nite the vet himself . Half of their progression says 2 to 3 weeks old the other half says 3 to 4 weeks old .I have watched all but one use the litter box I made up and the other may have but I didnt see it .only pee .but their first few teeth are just starting to break through . Their eye sight is still very limited and I am pretty sure they are not hearing yet or I can clap very loud and it does not started them .it is very odd .so I am going to say 3 weeks and let that be it. This morning they weighed 8.5 to 9 oz each . They are eating well and have doubled their weight since I found them .and they were almost gone .I have them in a large tote right now and I will try them in my garden tub see how they do . How long before I shoud start with some solid food mixed with their formula ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wilsonk2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info .I just didnt kniw how old they were .but 3 weeks plus is what vet said they are just small kittens they may catch up but they are doing great compared to when I decided to take them in wish I had taken a pic of them then but I was more worried they were dieing and 2 I thought was dead .they went from 4.5 oz to 9 oz in 7 days so they are growing great .they do have runny stool and scream and fight when i stimulate them to go . and were wormed 4 days ago vet gave me some differnt meds for another parasite and said it should clear all of that up .I hope so . I did introduce a small litter box and instantly one of them went right over and peed in it then the rest followed suit .it us amazing on that .but I still stimulat them everytime they eat .until I see poop in box I will if anyone sees anything I'm doing wrong or should be doing please do not hesitate to inform me .that's why I joined. Again thanks for the info so far and I hope I continue to get advice .If anyone knows when would be the best time to put them in a bathroom or bedroom and ket them roam I dont think it's time yet but please chime in.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All the deworming is likely contributing to the diarrhea. If you have a big, big box you could try moving them to that, but you might not want them running crazy in a bathroom or bedroom until the diarrhea is under control! ;)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:goldstar:Thank you for taking them in! :rock:

I have given kittens baby rice cereal mixed into their formula/wet food gruel to cure diarrhea . Also kittens are great at telling you when they are ready for real food. Try leaving a handful of dry kitten food on a saucer and see who starts nibbling when. I knew the kittens were ready for food when one started stealing some wet food out of the can .... as I was getting ready to feed the other cats. They still need formula after they start eating but it usually means you can get them to lap the formula out of a saucer (though I think they get a comfort from a bottle since my two who got weaned off milk in a saucer are blanket suckers and the runt who got extra bottle time isn’t a blanket sucker.)

You can give them a shoe box or the palate box that the wet food comes in with some non-clumping litter to get them started on using a litter box. I found unscented baby wipes to be a god send in helping the kittens go pee/poo and in cleaning them up afterward .... plus cleaning up their messy faces after eating!
:goodluck:
Take tons of pictures and videos, they grow up so fast!