Rescue kittens, questions, any advice would help

RBell10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I am currently fostering 2 rescue kittens. The shelter just found them the morning I received them (2 days ago), they were without a mother. Estimated to be approximately 4 weeks old. They have ears up, walk around and are starting to run, they play with each other and with toys... which after I have done some research seems consistent with 4-5 weeks. One of the kittens started eating wet food mixed with KMR however the other has no interest in wet food so I am providing her with KMR.
My question/ issue is with bathroom habits. Neither appears to be urinating without stimulation which by this age I would expect. The second big issue (what I am worried about) is that neither has pooped since we took them in. It is just over 48 hours since we received them. Both appear to be in no distress, playing and active but no poop. The one who started on the wet food abdomen does seem full but it is nontender and soft. I am just starting to get concerned and as I have never had kittens this age before I would appreciate any recommendations or advice. I have tried stimulating a poop without success from either. Thank you all in advance

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like they may need more fluid. Can you add water to what they eat/drink?
Gently rubbing the tummy in a circular motion can help to get things moving. A warm wet cotton ball used to stimulate may help them poop too. Let me see what info I can find for you. I’m sure others will be along to assist too. There is a time difference for many so hang on. They will see your post when they get online.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RBell10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the info. I did increase the amount of water in the KMR and have been doing the stimulation techniques. It makes them pee but no poop. Hoping it is just the water issue.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Increasing the water and continuing the stimulation may do the trick. Please update us as things progress. If no poop, please post that nothing has changed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Increasing water intake is good.
So, several tricks of the trade to get them poo, outside the water.

do one or a combo of these:

1. Add 2-3 drops of coldpressed olive or canola oil to the kmr in every meal. Almost any oil is OK, but coldpressed olive oil is good noursihment by itself.
1b. Liquid paraffine oil of veterinarian or food grade is even more potent, but seldom necessary....
Reduce the dosage as soon they begin to poo again.

2. Use submersion in warm water, it softens the tensions... A good version esp with infants is, held them in one hand rear end out in the warm running water, and pat with the forefinger of your other hand on the genital parts... It feels as mommas licking. Dry off afterwards, be sure they dont get chilled out.

3. Get a glicerine cone as is used for human problems with pooing, shiver off a tiny thin slice, and set inside into anus. It will melt soon enough, and soften up the hardened poo....
4. If necessary follow up make an enema. This is more tricky, but it is also what the vet usually does if you go to the vet with a case of of bad constipation.

RBell10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update. I have increased the water in their food and one kitten had a witnessed poop. I have since found 2 others in the litter box (unsure which one it came from ) but both are doing well otherwise, eating and playing. thank you for the advice.

RBell10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will keep an eye on the second kitten to make sure it is actually her pooping. If not I will try the oil option. thank you all so much

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WHOOOO HOOOOOO! We have POOP!!! Yes, R RBell10 , this is one of those places that manages to be family-friendly AND celebrate poop at the same time!