Rescue Kitten Refuses To Poop In Litter Box

Nursepark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rescued a kitten who could not have been more than 4 weeks old. (claws didn't retract) I figure she's about 10 weeks old now. Very loving, eats well. I have no other cats (sadly lost my long time companion to cancer), I have 4 litter boxes around the house and use litter attract in all. She urinates in the cat box thank goodness! However I cannot seem to get her to poop in them. I've placed the feces and her in the litter box repeatedly, and cleaned the area with natures miracle. To no avail. I am committed to making this relationship work long term, but I will not tolerate my house being used as a cat box for long. I've never had a 'dirty' cat and am baffled. I understand that she was taken away from her momma and litter mates before she got the training she needed, and am trying VERY hard to be VERY patient, but really, I need help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've not dealt with kittens but am bumping this in hopes that someone who does will weigh in.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the OP is using a "Cat Attract Litter": '"and use litter attract in all". Maybe change brands of cat attracting litter. I have also seen a brand called "Kitten Attract" litter, but I do not know anyone who has used it.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I apologise for my oversight, it was 5.30am here and I was very tired, so skimmed past. :doh:

How high are the tray rims? Is she pooing right next to the trays (or a particular tray), or is she pooing randomly throughout your house? And what consistency is her litter, does she like to dig, is it fine enough for her to cover with easily?

Now then, I've recently had experience of kitten poo but from 8 weeks old rather than 4 weeks. But at 10 weeks, I still remember there being a LOT of it, with up to 5 or 6 sloppy poos a day. Is this the case with your kitten? I'm wondering if she's maybe getting caught short somehow and not making it to the boxes...

Have you been worming her? Kittens are born with roundworm and should be wormed every two weeks from 2 weeks old until to 12 weeks, or so. Worms are very unsettling to little tummies.

Has she been to the vet for her check-up?

I'm going to be very naughty and call in a kitten expert here, if you don't mind @stefanz. They might switch your thread to the pregnant cat and kitten care forum where more kitten familiar people are on hand to help.

What is she called, by the way?

:hangin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nursepark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologise for my oversight, it was 5.30am here and I was very tired, so skimmed past. :doh:

How high are the tray rims? Is she pooing right next to the trays (or a particular tray), or is she pooing randomly throughout your house? And what consistency is her litter, does she like to dig, is it fine enough for her to cover with easily?

Now then, I've recently had experience of kitten poo but from 8 weeks old rather than 4 weeks. But at 10 weeks, I still remember there being a LOT of it, with up to 5 or 6 sloppy poos a day. Is this the case with your kitten? I'm wondering if she's maybe getting caught short somehow and not making it to the boxes...

Have you been worming her? Kittens are born with roundworm and should be wormed every two weeks from 2 weeks old until to 12 weeks, or so. Worms are very unsettling to little tummies.

Has she been to the vet for her check-up?

I'm going to be very naughty and call in a kitten expert here, if you don't mind @stefanz. They might switch your thread to the pregnant cat and kitten care forum where more kitten familiar people are on hand to help.

What is she called, by the way?

:hangin:
Thanks for the reply! Her name is Salem. She prefers to poop in my bedroom (yes, there is a litter box there too!) I have not wormed her yet, nor has she had her first Vet check, she was just too little. Will take her for first shots, etc around the middle of this month. I have her on quality food and her stool is properly formed (thank goodness!). I will obtain wormer for her right away.
Thanks for any help!