Rescue Cats

roobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a lovely rescue cat called Alaska, although some of them have stopped since she has been with us, i think some of her previous behaviour might be indicators of her previous life/treatment, so I wondered if anyone else has found this, do you cats have any little quirks that might tell you how they have been treated in the past?

• She loves to play fight but until recently she would shrink away as if she thought we were going to hit her, maybe she as been hit in that past. She has since learnt that we are not going to hit her, so doesn't do that anymore.
  • She does not steal human food, she will stare at you til you give it to her. Lol.
  • We think she may have been deprived of or tormented with food before cos at first she would wolf it down as fast as she could now she has learnt that it's not going anywhere she prefers to eat a bit then leave it and come back for some more later. I had to reprimand my father-in-law when he lured her out of the cupboard with dreamies and then didn't give her any.
  • We think she may have had a previous owner that died cos when she tries to wake us up for breakfast she will get really close to your face or nip you as if she is trying to make sure you are not dead. Also if my fiance is lying with his arm hanging off the bed/sofa she attacks his hand.
Does anybody have any opinions/insights into Alaska's behaviour or do your cats have any behaviour quirks?

Attachments

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for selecting a rescue cat.
While I dont begrudge those who select specfic breeds or show cats, we have always looked for the cat that needed a home; age, ancestry, sex didnt matter.
My boys are brothers and were adopted at 1 1/2 years of age. I think they fortunately came from a healthy caring home and the boys have shown no unusual adverse behavior.

They have developed quirks while living with us. But these have all been loving displays...except one....Arnold will no longer let greg sleep on the bed with me. Poor greg is banished to the living room if I am sleeping in the main bedroom and Arnold is sleeping with me. If im not in the house, arnold will let greg sleep on the bed in the main bedroom.

I also think both cats have become far more affectionate to my wife and me than they were to the former owners, or the cats wouldnt have been put up for adoption due to job relocate. ( the former owners kept the 3rd cat and moved with it)

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Theo's on the top of the cat tree, he lays in wait for me to pass by so he can take a swipe at me. This is a new behavioral quirk, if you could call it that.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
How wonderful of you for rescuing her! She probably was not tormented with food, but she may have had to hunt for it or didn’t have enough for whatever reason. Olive was an outside kitty - she was fed but probably not enough - and she always finishes everything, eats fast, and will take any human food not nailed down.