Rescue cat possibly pregnant?

artieboi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, so about a week and a half ago my partner and I rehomed/rescued a sweet little stray. She had been dumped by her previous owners and was riddled with parasites, which have since been cleared up. She was recently/is in heat, showed all the signs except for actually calling, she has a strange raspy meow (all fine according to vets, just a quirk of hers) She escaped this morning and only came back around 8pm, but seemed to have stuck close to home. I work nights so was asleep during this whole debacle, only saw her dart back in as I was leaving for work. I'm in the UK so the weather probably didn't help, but I'm worried she's pregnant.

During her heat she was very affectionate, meowing like mad, didn't wanna be alone, rolled around and had clear discharge (also fine according to vets). When she got in my partner said she no longer has said discharge and is not acting like she's in heat. Im in a very rural area so the nearest vets is pretty booked up for spaying, she'll be halfway through her gestation period at the very earliest if we're lucky!

She's eating, drinking and using the litter box as normal, and seems absolutely fine in herself. I did notice her nipples are quite pink and have a bald circle around them, im looking into emergency clinics for a possible spay/abortion as while kittens are adorable, she's only just over a year old and still recovering from being dumped and the trauma from the previous home.

Does anyone have any advice/early warnings of pregnancy for me to look out for?

TIA

ps i have attached pictures of the gremlin herself.

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The chances are extremely high that she is indeed pregnant. You might want to call any vets in your area, explain the situation and see if they can find a way to squeeze you in for her spay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artieboi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The chances are extremely high that she is indeed pregnant. You might want to call any vets in your area, explain the situation and see if they can find a way to squeeze you in for her spay.
i know there are a few toms in the area, but im normally a really light sleeper (i wake up when my neighbour over the road open their windows) and although our bedroom is on the opposite side of the house to our back garden, neither me or my partner heard anything. She's been an indoor only girl her entire life (albeit the first 6 months in a small dog crate before being rescued) so i doubt she went far. my partner be calling around in the morning, but we're up in the highlands so its very remote! we are looking at getting a catio in the future, as our current cats (neutered 5 month old girl and 3 month old rascal) are very interested in the outdoors, but i don't want them to run afoul of a fox or red kite!

fingers crossed we can get her in 🤞🏼🤞🏼

artieboi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should probably add some more context: she is extremely skittish and wary of people, and her previous foster had an unneutered male who was supposedly 'separate' but im having doubts. ive only had her for 9 days so im not sure if she was potentially pregnant before we adopted her. I did see the local large ginger fluffball sauntering away with his tail held high but i don't think she could be in heat while pregnant? either way once im home in a few hours im going to talk to my partner and see what he says before turning in for the night.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi artieboi artieboi

If there's one thing I know about cats it's that they are incredibly good at producing other cats. If she's un-spayed and has been around other cats, even during her brief door dash, there's a very good chance that she is pregnant.

It's still early days so performing a spay now won't be anymore difficult than it otherwise would be. If you can't afford to care for a litter of kittens and provide al the initial medical care they will need before being adopted by new families it would be a good idea to go ahead with a spay now.

Have you tried your local RSPCA, PDSA or Cat's Protection League? Some branches either offer spay/neuter service themselves or work with vets to provide one.

artieboi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi artieboi artieboi

If there's one thing I know about cats it's that they are incredibly good at producing other cats. If she's un-spayed and has been around other cats, even during her brief door dash, there's a very good chance that she is pregnant.

It's still early days so performing a spay now won't be anymore difficult than it otherwise would be. If you can't afford to care for a litter of kittens and provide al the initial medical care they will need before being adopted by new families it would be a good idea to go ahead with a spay now.

Have you tried your local RSPCA, PDSA or Cat's Protection League? Some branches either offer spay/neuter service themselves or work with vets to provide one.
yes ive managed to get her booked for a spay using cats protection, its a while away unfortunately but hopefully we can get her seen by a vet when she's around 3-4 weeks and hopefully be able to get the spay/abortion as long as she's not too far along.