Reintroducing Kittens After Both Are Neutered

MG90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 almost 5 month old male kittens that I had neutered on Tuesday. The vet told me to keep them separated so I have and both of them have been incistently meowing ever since. It’s hard being a single working person to spend time with them separately. I tried introducing them back together yesterday however they were skiddish and didn’t seem to recognize each other. One of them puffed up and hissed at the other. Prior to the operation they were constantly together. Will they ever be able to be back to the bonded pair that they were and what’s the best way to reintroduce them back together?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MG90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
9C423F23-5D0F-4927-9491-4E1714E3F9C1.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose the vet told you to keep them separated to keep them quiet and to avoid possible tussling. Neutering usually is not a huge difference in the life of a cat. They usually are down for a few hours after the operation itself, but are literally back to normal the next day. Just monitor for any heavy bleeding, a little is normal, and signs of infection, pus, and swelling. Although a little swelling is normal too. They are smelling the strange smells on each other and don't recognize the other as their brother right now. I always take my cats in together to avoid this, for all vet visits, and don't separate them at all. A little hissing and puffing is normal, to speed things up take a blanket they lay on and rub down each cat with it. They will quickly lose the vet scaent and return to being friends again, usually in one to two days. I bet they are much better today. All the luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MG90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I introduced them back together and they’ve been best friends again. Initially I moved them to rooms with an adjoining door and immediately they played with each other’s feet under the door so the next day I opened the door and they’ve been fine ever since! I did use the blanket trick though and I think it worked, thank you!