Regaining Kitty's Trust After Using Physical Discipline; Kitty's Relationship W/ More Dominant Kitty

olivetree212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, first post here - but I would like some advice with one of my two new kittens.

I adopted 2 kittens a couple months ago, they're about 6 months old now - a boy and a girl. Neutered / Spayed, and were very playful at first. They would play fight and chase and tackle each other and were absolutely inseparable. If one of them can't find the other, they would start howling until reunited. The female has always been a little more skittish than the boy, and the boy is definitely more dominant - but I am having issues with the female now.

The boy is more energetic than the girl, and would probably annoy her with how often he wanted to wrestle, and then he started attempting to mount her non-stop for about a month, and she started to hiss and growl at him, which I didn't pay attention to because I thought it would be a good way for him to learn when he's being annoying. Well, now it's like she just gave up even trying. They will still cuddle and groom each other, but she does not play with him at all anymore. And it's sad to see. I hear her growl and hiss almost every day.

On top of that, I think I've made matters worse. This is the first time I've owned kitties (I've always had large dogs) and I recently learned that cats don't respond to physical or negative discipline the way that dogs do. There's been several occasions where the female has growled or hissed at me and I've swatted her or flicked her in the forehead. I thought I was sending the message that I won't tolerate that behavior towards me but I've obviously been mistaken because now she is TERRIFIED of me, and growls anytime I try to touch or grab her, and hisses if I startle her by moving too quickly. She won't even eat food in front of me, I have to lock her in the bathroom or kennel and even then she eats much slower than before.

She's hiding ALL the time, the other day I was scared she escaped, and after two hours of scouring my 900 sq ft apartment, I found her INSIDE of my couch's armrest. Apparently there's a little pocket that she was able to climb through. When I am around, she's hiding and scared of me, unless I give her this fleace blanket, which she will knead and weirdly get into a trance and be happy and purr again. But as soon as that blankets gone, she hates me again. When I pick her up, she freezes and tries to cling her arms around my neck, and if I set her on my lap she sits and freezes and will not move.

I've been giving her rescue remedy as well as pheremones, and they've helped, but it seems like her behavior goes back and forth. One moment it seems like she's improving, the next she's in the corner growling at me sounding like the last 2 minutes of a washing machine rotation.

I decided to ask for help on here because all of the articles online just talk about why you shouldn't use physical discipline with a cat, but I learned that a bit too late and there is nothing about how to regain a kitty's trust after she's learned to associate you with being flicked or swatted. Will this cat ever get back to her normal, playful self? Is it likely that I have irreparably traumatized her or trained her to fear me? There's probably been 5 occasions or so since I got her where I've swatted her on the top of the head or flicked her on the head for hissing, and now I feel bad because I thought she was just being stubborn and I didn't know that I was only making the situation worse.

And before there's any "omg you're a horrible person don't swat your cat post" - save it, I came here for help, not for your judgment. Also some comment on her relationship with the other more dominant kitty would be appreciated.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's good that you're humbled by your mistake and recognise that you were wrong. People do the best they can with the tools they are given. Give yourself those tools and start looking into cat behavior and cat care; with the internet nowadays there is no excuse not to educate yourself.

I think her relationship with him has changed because she feels that can't play and let loose when you're around. She has her guard up 24/7 and sounds like she has a lot of anxiety. Her world is very sad right now.

I suggest you improve the environment, give her more hiding spots (cat beds or cardboard boxes with a hole cut out of it) and scratching posts to leave her scent. These things will give her more security. It definitely makes it harder to regain her trust if she won't even eat around you.

Other than that I say let her come to you. Give it a few months but if it doesn't improve (I've never suggested this before I think) you should start to think about rehoming them (so they have eachother) through a service like petfinder or something. Be sure to be 100% honest with the next owners if you do decide this, if it was an honest mistake and you now know better then you have nothing to be ashamed of. Not saying you should rehome your pets right now, I hope you give it a go and regain her trust. But I've never been in a situation like this so I can't say if you eventually will.

Trust is easily broken and very difficult to repair.

Last edited:

Pixxelated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me like she was already fearful anc stand offish before you swatted her. The physical contact no doubt reinforced the fear, unfortunately.

When a cat hisses at you or anything really, they’re being defensive rather than aggressive. It’s their way of saying “go away, I’m not attacking you but I could be.” It’s an intimidation technique, by which they try to mimick the hissing sound a snake makes.

The best thing to do if a cat hisses at you, is not to force anything. Don’t force her to tolerate your petting, etc... she has to come to you. The cat sets the pace. You got to show to her that you’re not a threat. If she tenses, back off and go sit down - focus on anything but the cat. Slowly blink at her, turn your back towards her. All these things are signs of trust in the cat world, if she doesn’t tun for it - or if she sits and washed that’s essentially a huge step forward.

Another thing you can do to build up her confidence is getting her a safe room. One she can retreat to when it gets too much. Cats love hiding. The pheromones you got will definitely help reassure her as well. Hiding is very natural to cats, especially those who are scared. She will come out in her own time, just be sure to leave some items with your smell lying around for her. Maybe some treats, maybe sit in the room with her (without engaging her), etc...

Stuff like the above will help with slowly regaining her trust. Though it might be a long process. Cats who have had negative interactions with humans, tend to do all of the above. And there isn’t much more other than the above that you can try.

It will take a lot of patience, and it might take a long time for her to come round. She might never be your friend, or she might be. It depends entirely on the cat, and there is not a thing we can do about that.

Just try to use positive reinforcement instead of physical punishment in the future. Physical punishment is not the way forward in any animal conditioning, it just creates an undertone of fear. And cats, like you said, definitely do not respond well to physical (or any kind really) punishment.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My tequila used to be skittish around most people, but shed respond to wand toys.

Maybe you can try to feed her treats and play with her, so she starts to associate you with good things.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of hiding places sounds like a great idea. I would even put some food in her favorite hiding spot until she is feeling more confident. I would add avoiding eye contact, doing a slow blink at her daily. (Basically close your eyes for 2 seconds, open, close for 2 seconds, repeat 10 or so times in a row, then look away. Repeat 2-4 times a day or as often as you want.) Reading out loud to her while not looking at her might help. I would also not touch her in any way unless she comes to you. Cat Communication: What Your Cat's Body Language Says

Lastly I wouldn't swat or flick a dog for growling. It would make them feel attacked/ more aggressive. I would either ignore my dog or tell them !NO!.... then ignore them until they were calm/not growling. Cats are energy sponges. So if your cat is wound up/feeling threatened, throwing more negative energy at them isn't going to help. I hope things work out for your cats.