Red wasp aftermath (pics)

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was working a flea market today and got a red was sting on my ankle, at first it just hurt a little- now it is swollen and red, numb and I can't bend it without pain or walk without pain..

Any ideas?

Couple of pics

Evident swelling, and bending it down hurts.. (its the left ankle)-- I do have a scar from stiches as a kid, it's below that.

Black section above is enlarged below

It HURTS,(does not itch) is swollen. Painful to walk, bend it, etc... And very hot to the touch.

I have used Benadryl cream and Hydrocortisone Cream, I may put some lidocaine gel on it to cool it a bit- other than that, anything I can do? I have never been stung by anything before, so evidently I'm allergic. :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take some Benedryl internally (but be careful with using the cream at the same time because you can overdose by using both). Ice the area, and maybe a soak in Epsom salts to draw the poison out? Ouchies :(. I was stung a few years ago and the purple spot stayed for 3 months! And it itched the whole time! Hope you can stop the pain soon.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   Clean both sting areas with Hibiclens, an anti microbial antiseptic wash. While lying down, elevate your leg a few inches above the rest of your body. Apply ice packs directly on swollen areas. .......  

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH HUN .... that looks just awful and so painful. I wonder if you need to see the doctor?? Keep close watch on it and if the swelling gets worse, go in to the doctor. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: I do know that a baking soda paste on the bite helps draw out the infection, but the swelling looks past that point... Hope you get better quickly. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I have been using benadryl and the cream, motrin for swelling, and lidocaine gel fir pain, swelling is down today, but pain is there. Not as warm to the touch, but still warm.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More than 1 bite?  Swelling that is warm to the touch?  Get thee to a doctor!!!

For single stings, doing the following will usually be enough: 

1. Make sure you have removed the stinger. Use a thin card such as a playing card or credit card to gently scrape over the bump. Don't pinch the area because if the stinger is still there it will release more venom.

2. Benadryl

3. Ice packs to the area

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More than 1 bite?  Swelling that is warm to the touch?  Get thee to a doctor!!!

For single stings, doing the following will usually be enough: 

1. Make sure you have removed the stinger. Use a thin card such as a playing card or credit card to gently scrape over the bump. Don't pinch the area because if the stinger is still there it will release more venom.

2. Benadryl

3. Ice packs to the area

theres not a stone11, snd ite seems to be doing better. Got some hibiclens too.

arlo haarsma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so how goes it?  I have some ideas however I would like to know how you are doing first...would not want to be redundant.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For future reference, you can  make a baking soda-water paste and place it on the site of the sting.  It will help decrease the pain, the itch, and the discomfort.  Then, you can treat it with tea tree oil after the initial sting to decrease itch, stinging, and pain.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:

It seems better today. The swelling is down, the pain is there and some redness but  not near as much.

Thanks for all the ideas!!