Red splotches outside/in cats ear

Wiley1037

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I recently noticed red splotches in and outside my cats ear, also scabbing on the other. Her name is Lola and she is an indoor cat (exclusively now for a year), 14-15 years old, uses litter. Is this something I should be concerned about?

(I'm new to this website, so thank you in advance)

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and Welcome!!! Can't say for sure, but it looks like irritation from scratching/itching - especially since you mention scabbing. Have you looked inside Lola's ears for mites or ear wax? Has she been exposed to other cats that might be carrying some fungal/bacterial/parasitical disease?

It could be related to so many things, food/environmental/litter allergies - all of which can happen at any time even if you have made no changes to anything. However, if you have changed food, litter, or have new things/issues within the house (cleaning products, carpeting, perfumes, dust from heating/HVAC, etc.) - look at those aspects first and see if you can come up with any possible culprits.

You could also send some pics to your vet for advice/ideas; however, odds are they will want you to bring your cat in so they can take a closer look.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wiley1037

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! Her ears look clean and she hasn't had contact with any other cats. The routine has been pretty much the same. She does seem to be biting and pulling more while she is grooming from what I've noticed. Thank you so much hopefully it is just irritation, I will keep an eye on her though.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She does seem to be biting and pulling more while she is grooming from what I've noticed.
That does seem to suggest an allergy of sorts. Also, check for fleas - they can make their way into a home without a cat going outside.

As a temporary solution, just to help try and heal and reduce irritation from those spots, get some chamomile tea bags. You can buy them from most any local grocery store, as they are almost always German - you don't want English, nor do you want any additives or flavorings. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp, and use a soft cloth to wipe those spots. The tea has both soothing and healing properties and is considered an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent as well. It is also safe for her should she happen to ingest any.