Red scab on one side of mouth

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is one year old, she is pregnant and outdoor-indoor cat (going to spay her after this litter), so recently she had chin acne, it was mild so I didn't take her to vet, and clean it with warm water using cotton. I was planning to take her if that got worse. But now when she came home at evening I notice this large red spot near her mouth. It was not there yesterday, vet is off for 2 days, is it fungal infection and should i isolate her from my other cat? Can I apply povidone iodine in this?
IMG20220415193119.jpg
IMG20220415193128.jpg

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be more chin acne or it could even be a bite of some kind, like an ant or something. If you can get some chamomile tea bags, steep one in a warm cup and strain. Allow it to cool and then dab onto the sore. You should try to keep her inside until this clears up so you can keep an eye on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be more chin acne or it could even be a bite of some kind, like an ant or something. If you can get some chamomile tea bags, steep one in a warm cup and strain. Allow it to cool and then dab onto the sore. You should try to keep her inside until this clears up so you can keep an eye on it.
Thanks for giving your precious time and suggestion Stephanie. But will virgin coconut oil works as I don't have chamomile tea?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should be able to buy chamomile tea bags at just about any grocery store. I would normally say that using povidone iodine after diluting it is fine to use on a cat, however, the jury is still out on using it on a pregnant cat, which is what you have here :frown:. Too much iodine is not good, and this location would be very easy for her to lick it. No way of knowing how that might effect the kittens.

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should be able to buy chamomile tea bags at just about any grocery store. I would normally say that using povidone iodine after diluting it is fine to use on a cat, however, the jury is still out on using it on a pregnant cat, which is what you have here :frown:. Too much iodine is not good, and this location would be very easy for her to lick it. No way of knowing how that might effect the kittens.
I didn't think of that, thanks for advice. I live in rural-urban area, I will go and check in market if it's available. Will green tea work?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chamomile has soothing properties. You should be able to find it at Walmart if you have one of those close to you.

Green Tea wouldn't have the same effect. Do you have any colloidal silver? You can dab some of that on it and it wouldn't hurt her if she licked it.

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chamomile has soothing properties. You should be able to find it at Walmart if you have one of those close to you.

Green Tea wouldn't have the same effect. Do you have any colloidal silver? You can dab some of that on it and it wouldn't hurt her if she licked it.
It's not available in local store. I have to order it online from amazon and I will order both for future use and wait till vet open. Keeping her inside till the time.

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet was open today, they gave her injection little bit less than 1ml and an antibiotic medicine (petcef).

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cefpodoxime tablet.