Red patches on skin

Tigeranddiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat, 8 months old, is having red patched on skin near neck. And they are increasing in area. I took him to the vet, he got his antibiotics injection and medicine but no improvement. It doesn't itch there however. His spot on has also been done.
Also, i have one more cat, but it doesn't have any symptoms. Can anyone help. Though otherwise he is ok..he eats food but not as playful as before.
Plz help. Also, after some days, few brown coloured dots appear near his right ear.i don't know what it is. First photo given below is red patched. Second photo is of brown dots which I can't identify.
20210707_172030.jpg
20210707_172000.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought is an allergy. Are you sure he isn’t itching more than usual? Are the spots on his neck warm to touch or sore?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wasn't sure from your post how close the red area(s) are to where the spot on treatment was placed - and how long ago it was applied before the patches showed up. It could be skin irritation from the spot on, and could appear in more than one place given most spot on treatments travel through the skin's sebaceous glands (in addition to some that also enter a cat's bloodstream).

Try to clean off the brown spots and see if they re-appear. It could be ear mites, but if so, they will likely spread to your other cat.

What was the antibiotics injection for - and, what was the 'other medicine'?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigeranddiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first thought is an allergy. Are you sure he isn’t itching more than usual? Are the spots on his neck warm to touch or sore?
Thank you so much for replying. No he is not itching. Also, the red patch is not warm to touch as such. It's temperature is same like other body parts.

Tigeranddiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wasn't sure from your post how close the red area(s) are to where the spot on treatment was placed - and how long ago it was applied before the patches showed up. It could be skin irritation from the spot on, and could appear in more than one place given most spot on treatments travel through the skin's sebaceous glands (in addition to some that also enter a cat's bloodstream).

Try to clean off the brown spots and see if they re-appear. It could be ear mites, but if so, they will likely spread to your other cat.

What was the antibiotics injection for - and, what was the 'other medicine'?
Thank you so much for replying. Red patches were before spot on too. And, yes I cleaned those brown spots but like in a day or two, they reappear on right ear.
Injection's name, I don't know.
Medicine is Savavet and Clindamycin.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As far as I know, Savavet is a brand name, not a type of med. There are meds like wormers, arthritis treatments, and many others under the brand name of Savavet. So, I am not sure which one of those he got. The antibiotic injection followed up by Clindamycin (also an antibiotic) appears to be your vet's way of treating what they must think is a bacterial infection of his skin - which would seem not to be working, based on what you've said. You might want to call the vet and ask about a skin scraping (sounds a lot worse than it is), to collect and analyze the cells to see if that would better identify the cause.

I personally can't imagine how the dark pores in his ear have anything to do with what is going on with his skin, but I am not a vet. The vet could collect some of the debris for analysis as well.

Tigeranddiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As far as I know, Savavet is a brand name, not a type of med. There are meds like wormers, arthritis treatments, and many others under the brand name of Savavet. So, I am not sure which one of those he got. The antibiotic injection followed up by Clindamycin (also an antibiotic) appears to be your vet's way of treating what they must think is a bacterial infection of his skin - which would seem not to be working, based on what you've said. You might want to call the vet and ask about a skin scraping (sounds a lot worse than it is), to collect and analyze the cells to see if that would better identify the cause.

I personally can't imagine how the dark pores in his ear have anything to do with what is going on with his skin, but I am not a vet. The vet could collect some of the debris for analysis as well.
Oh, yes it can be. I will talk to the vet again about this. Apart from that, i think i would like to add one point, that earlier it used to ear boiled chicken pieces. Then, we basically had to shift somewhere for about a month where it was not available, so there we had shifted to whiskas cat food dry for juniors. I guess, if I remember it right, a week after these red dots began to appear, now turned into slightly bigger patch. May be, it is food allergy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could certainly be a food allergy - it is just unusual that itchiness isn't part of the reaction, as that is typically the most common symptom. Can you get him back on his usual food now? That might be all you need to do!

Maybe this is the product? Savavet Itchmune C Oral Solution, which is indicated for the treatment of atopic dermatitis.