Red Gums in 7 months old kitten

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I might need some advice on my cat's oral health. She's 7 months old, weight at 3.05kg, already spayed.

She just got her first dose of vaccination last Saturday and the doctor noticed that her gum inflammation is bad. It's really red. Hence she have my cat some anti-inflammatory medication to be taken over the next 4 days to see if that will help. Vet was wondering if she's really FIV/FELV negative (she was tested for it last month and was negative), as vet mentioned that gum inflammation is common in cat that's positive in FIV/FELV.

Anyone's cat have the same issues but was tested negative for FIV/FELV?

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup. I had a girl that had issues at less than a year old. Vet said only true cure for her would be a total mouth extraction but we didn’t do that. Hers actually got a bit better on its own but she did develop resorptive lesions that led to some extractions. Basically just her gum tissue attacking the enamel of her teeth…or something.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep my boy was 8 months old the vet spotted his gums when I took him for conjunctivitis. He had cat flu as a kitten so because of his gums and repeated eye problems we did test. He had calsivirus and that can cause gum problems. He's 18 months or so now. Doing great after antimflamatrys and daily brushing. I use Logic oral hygiene gel for cat's and dog's because you don't need to brush it, he will let me brush his teeth but my other cat hates it. So I just put a small amount on my finger and rub it over his gums and teeth. You could even put it on a cotton bud for ease. There has been a huge improvement in his gums since the brushing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Red gums can indicate teething, which your 7 month old kitten could still be having. It can also indicate bad dental health which most cats have. Many vets have no clue how to assess dental health so issues go unnoticed for years. A veterinary dentist will have the training and expertise to address any dental issues such as gingivitis and resorptive lesions.

You can do home care for your cat's teeth. Brushing (really more like swabbing) with pet toothpaste is best. Dental diets and treats don't work so don't bother with those. Some cats may enjoy gnawing on a raw poultry gizzard or raw chicken wing bone.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can likely bet it is stomatitis. 7 month olds don't normally get inflamed gums unless they have an immune system that's over reacting, attacking the teeth thinking they don't belong there.
If it is, it is an ongoing, painful problem.
In the end, it's inevitable to have all teeth removed, paying close attention that every bit of root is removed as well or his system will keep reacting.