Rectal Prolapse In 10 Week Old Kitten

Mama26kids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 10 week old kitten became constipated and his rectum popped out a bit. I was able to push in back in a couple times, but as he strained to poo, it pushed further out.

I don't have the money for a vet and am looking for any shelters that might take him if I surrender him, but until then I want to keep treating him and would like to hear what has worked for others.

I am feeding yogurt and pumpkin and he's eating that pretty good. He's drinking good and peeing regular. still slightly constipated I think.

I've been soaking his bottom a couple times a day in warm water and keeping vaseline on his prolapse. its still pink and moist.

happened about 4 days ago. I tried today to push it back in and it wouldn't go and he got pretty mad.

I saw some pet owners and vets online using sugar to shrink the tissue size to help get it back in. anyone use that? and saw some people using homeopathics to help shrink the prolapse and draw it back in?

I read some really old posts on here about prolapse and some were saying it healed on its own if taken care of.

thanks for any info you can share.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is something that has to be taken care of so the tissue doesn't dry out and become damaged, it sounds like you are doing a good job. I would call a vet and see if you can get advise over the phone , explaining your situation. Even better would be to take a picture on your phone and bring it to a vet and ask their advise. Definitely keep researching for answers. The only way I have witnessed is applying lot of lubricant and massaging and pushing the rectum back into place if it isn't out too far, I hope your kitten doesn't need a suture to hold it in place. Make sure there is a lot of stool softener given, pumpkin is good. I'll pray that you find the help you need. Please keep us posted!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is your kitten eating wet food? He should for moisture. Also add a few drops of olive oil to the wet food to soften it for passing.

As young as the kitten is, keeping the rectum moist may allow it to shrink and go back in on its own.

You may also want to apply warm compresses to the area before adding the vaseline.

Please keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama26kids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the replies. I've contacted a few rescues and they require surrender of my kitten to treat him, and I might end up having to do that. My kitten is eating dry food that Im softening with warm water and yogurt and pumpkin. I make it very liquify and he seems to drink it up really well. It looked like the rectum was doing better after I put some honey on the prolapse and have been keeping it moist with vaseline. but today it looks a bit more red. We just bought a homeopathic kitten med for constipation and digestion issues. and some epsom salts which I read my shrink the prolapse to help it shrink back up? anyone use this method? also, we bought some aloe gel to put on the prolapse.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope the prolapse resolves without you having to surrender your kitten.

Is there any way you could get on a payment plan, or borrow money, to see a vet?

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a human doctor, not a vet, but homeopathy has been demonstrate by careful clinical trials to have no more benefit than a placebo and I would not waste my time nor money on this!

Indeed, I am sorry but this is really a matter that you cannot attempt to treat yourself - it is a matter for veterinary care.
With best wishes,
Geoffrey

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it's rectal prolapse? I ask because if it is, you need a vet as it could be her intestines coming out. In which case, this could be very serious.
However, it could also be something as simple as inflamed anal glands, which will just need to be expressed. A groomer could do that for you.
You should get the kitten to the vet, or as mentioned, take a picture and show a vet.

Mama26kids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sure it's a rectal prolapse. There are quite a few pictures online and some on this site. I've been giving him the homeopathic, but it's only 2 days so not sure it would work that fast even if it does work. I've tried pouring epsom salts over the prolapse to clean and sooth it. it has made the redness lessen. I live on a farm and many chicken raisers have said they use sugar for a prolapse to take down swelling. I haven't tried that yet. I did contact a rescue that will take our kitten sadly as we really don't have any amount of money to care for this, and I'm sure as all vet visits it will be very costly. I hope they are able to help him. I have to part with him on Saturday morning and he has a vet visit with the rescue. =( I hope he makes it and has a good life. He's a darling little kitty. Has anyone had a cat or kitten who had prolapse surgery and if so, how did your cat do afterwards?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Would you be able to adopt the kitten back later? Or to foster the kitten?

I think you are doing the right thing! Hopefully, the rescue will be able to give you an update on the kitten after it sees the vet.

Mama26kids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I'll be surrendering my kitten tomorrow. =( very heart broken. His vet appointment is already set for surgery first thing in the morning. They aren't sure about me being able to re adopt him? but hopefully that can happen, and I asked about fostering him as well and they said they would talk to me about it. Ill update about his surfer and the outcome for anyone else who might go through this.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I'm sure it is hard. It's good the kitten is getting help though. Perhaps they will let him back into your life as he will still need a home.

Please do update us about the surgery and outcome. :)

Mama26kids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update to my kitten with prolapse. After I surrendered him he was taken to a vet who seemed to think the rectal tissue was damaged and would require an extensive surgery, and they talked to me on the phone and were really rude about me not bringing our kitten in right away. The kitten was then taken to an emergency vet in another town, and they said there was no tissue damage and simple pushed the rectum back in and put 2 stitches on the outside to hold things in. He's doing good so far, that was about 3 weeks ago. The rectum hasn't come back out, he's getting better bowel control and looks like he'll heal properly. He got an eye infection unfortunately at the shelter he's at, but otherwise he's doing good. The difference between the vets diagnosis is pretty sad to me. The first place basically wanted to charge thousands of dollars for an unnecessary surgery and didn't even know what they were talking about, and the next place does the simpler surgery and saves not only the cat from extra surgery and pain, but hundreds of dollars. Glad the shelter got a second opinion.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow - good outcome! :)

Many vets are inexperienced with kittens, unfortunately.

Are you able to foster the kitten or adopt her back?