Recommended "Greens" for Kitty?

Dana K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Friends -

My indoor-only, orange tabby "Peaches" seems to crave greens in her diet.
She's a good eater, in good health and eats mostly wet, with nibbles of dry food.
Peaches has eaten house plants, grass and even salad greens. She's insistent!
Does anyone grow/feed their cat greens?
I've grown oat grass for a previous cat, and she wouldn't touch them.
I'm willing to try again, if anyone's had success. Or maybe recommend something else?

Thanks in advance!
Dana

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there. There really isn't much of a nutritional value for a cat to have greens, although if they were in the wild they might get some of this type of 'food' from eating other animals who do eat such items. Cat foods generally have added any of those related 'vitamins/nutrients' into their products. And, from what I have experienced, most cats usually eat grass or plants to quell a queasy stomach and will typically regurgitate them as a result. I only know of one member (there are probably others I am not aware of) on this site who swears his cat loves salads - and, as far as I know, doesn't throw up from eating the greens.

I suppose there could be some sort of nutritional/enzyme/chemical imbalance causing her interest in these kinds of foods - you might ask your vet if there is any type of testing that could be done to check on that aspect. Or, you just have a cat with unusual tastes!!

You could try growing grass inside your home for her to munch on - much better than outdoor grass that might have chemicals applied to it. Something like this perhaps?
THE CAT LADIES Cat Grass Kit & Decorative Wood Planter, Black - Chewy.com. Most pet stores carry similar products.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat grass is fine. If your cat doesn't like oat grass, try wheat grass or barley grass instead. Catnip is also great and you can dry the leaves to use for toys.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dana K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your replies, and I'll try growing the cat greens you mentioned.
Last night I put out a dish of my own Spring Mix (spinach, radicchio & beet greens), and this morning it was empty.
Crazy cat! :gingercat2:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In case you weren't already aware, some people foods are harmful to cats. See People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets

Veggies aren't listed so they're ok. Just limited them to occasional treats. Cats really have no need or use for greens in the diet. It just comes out undigested in the poop. Some cats just like the taste of greens. One of my cats must be part ruminant because he loves eating cat grass.