Recommendations for Good Bass Over the Ear Headphones?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm on the hunt for an affordable option to upgrade my current over-the-ear headphones. I love having some bass and use them mainly to listen to music, but also meditations and sometimes for watching movies and tv shows.

There was a pair of beats on sale during holiday sales just over $100, so I decided to splurge... because you know those are known for being good! But, sound quality sucked, very flat, and turns out it may have been counterfeit... bought it off amazon and product had over 4.5 stars. Considering it gave an error when trying to register the serial number, that is a sign it probably was a fake!

So now I'm trying to find a good pair. My first ever was a Sony brand about $75-100, but bought on clearance for $30. It was great and loved it! It advertised bass on the packaging. My current pair is Bluedio, which is nice, but the sound was more muddy than my previous Sony ones. Funnily, compared the the "beats,", my old headphones still sounded way better because much more depth to the music!

What brands and models have you tried? What was the bass like and were you hoping for a good bass pair where you feel it a bit? What would you recommend? Price range maybe up to around $100, but may be flexible for the right pair. Please share what you've tried and all the pros/cons of them.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like Skullcandy headphones. For me, very good sound quality, extremely comfortable and I like their appearance.

My old pair, a "Crusher" finally died after years of service and I splurged on one of their more expensive ones during a sale. Same type but had some special features and was just too good looking to pass up. I hardly use it now, though, as it was purchased mainly for commuting and since the pandemic I've been working from home nearly 100% and don't expect that to change. I certainly could wear them at home, but I don't like being unable to hear the phone/doorbell/cat getting in trouble (or having my husband suddenly pop up behind me!).

They may be slightly more than you care to spend but may as well take a look

Shop Skullcandy's Full Line of Wired and Wireless Headphones

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will state for the record that I am not an audiophile and my standards for sound may well be lower than yours.

Also, my current headphones are well over your $100 price range. I invested because I use them all the time and wanted comfort and quality.

I use wireless over the ear headphones a LOT.
Every day I use them for viewing videos on my tablet while I crochet and occasionally for listening to music as I potter around the house.
My current headphones are by Sony and I love them.

I wore out my first pair which were Bose Quiet Comfort 35, they were great except for the material that they used to cover the ear pieces. It was some sort of fake leather (not pleather, something else) which did not stand the test of time and sweat. So I didn't get them again.

This is the the pair that I own now Sony noise cancelling wireless headphones

I assume that you are in the US?
I ask because UK Amazon have a 'Warehouse' section where you can pick up returned items for a fraction of the full price and if you're lucky get a bargain. I don't know if the US Amazon have the same thing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I ask because UK Amazon have a 'Warehouse' section where you can pick up returned items for a fraction of the full price and if you're lucky get a bargain. I don't know if the US Amazon have the same thing.

There is :) Amazon Warehouse | Great deals on quality used products

It's also accessible through Amazon Smile so you get the same warehouse prices and get help out the charity of your choice at the same time 👍 It's a little hard to find but log into your Amazon Smile account and then go to the very bottom of the page where it has a bunch of Amazon help and info links. One of them is Amazon Warehouse.

I have a Bose Quiet Comfort 35. I bought it for the noise cancelling feature but it really doesn't work very well even on the high setting. I can still clearly hear everything around me at the office. I haven't tried it yet for music or anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My old pair, a "Crusher" finally died after years of service and I splurged on one of their more expensive ones during a sale. Same type but had some special features and was just too good looking to pass up. I hardly use it now, though, as it was purchased mainly for commuting and since the pandemic I've been working from home nearly 100% and don't expect that to change. I certainly could wear them at home, but I don't like being unable to hear the phone/doorbell/cat getting in trouble (or having my husband suddenly pop up behind me!).

They may be slightly more than you care to spend but may as well take a look

Shop Skullcandy's Full Line of Wired and Wireless Headphones
Thanks! Looks like the Crusher has a special edition one that's a bit cheaper than their normal ones and about how much the beats ones I tried buying were. It's on sale and will be buying direct from the brand website this time to make sure they are the real deal! Very excited about the reviews about the bass and the bass is adjustable with dial on the headphone. Seems like the quality I'm looking for! And love your note about not being able to hear things with them on because that is exactly how I like it :) Thank you for the recommendation! Appreciate everyone who had input, thanks!

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is :) Amazon Warehouse | Great deals on quality used products

It's also accessible through Amazon Smile so you get the same warehouse prices and get help out the charity of your choice at the same time 👍 It's a little hard to find but log into your Amazon Smile account and then go to the very bottom of the page where it has a bunch of Amazon help and info links. One of them is Amazon Warehouse.

I have a Bose Quiet Comfort 35. I bought it for the noise cancelling feature but it really doesn't work very well even on the high setting. I can still clearly hear everything around me at the office. I haven't tried it yet for music or anything.
Yes, I shop through Smile Amazon and my chosen charity is Cat Protection 🐈 😻 😺

Interesting that you don't find the noise cancelling effective, I didn't have an issue with my Bose headphones. But I did always have something playing through my headphones, I never tried using them purely for the noise cancelling function.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I shop through Smile Amazon and my chosen charity is Cat Protection 🐈 😻 😺

Interesting that you don't find the noise cancelling effective, I didn't have an issue with my Bose headphones. But I did always have something playing through my headphones, I never tried using them purely for the noise cancelling function.
Am I the only one who almost always forgets to go to the specific Amazon Smile page to make purchases? I even have a cause I'm super passionate about and they would get so many donations from me if I remembered! :rolleyes::lol:

I'm not a fan of noise canceling either, if you are talking about the battery powered white noise some make. It's too distracting and noisy for me. My favorite are ones that cancel out noise naturally by fitting over my ears and hearing mainly the music from the headphones. I've even worn my current headphones in places like airports without the music playing and it muffles the sound to a less jarring and exhausting level!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! Looks like the Crusher has a special edition one that's a bit cheaper than their normal ones and about how much the beats ones I tried buying were. It's on sale and will be buying direct from the brand website this time to make sure they are the real deal! Very excited about the reviews about the bass and the bass is adjustable with dial on the headphone. Seems like the quality I'm looking for! And love your note about not being able to hear things with them on because that is exactly how I like it :) Thank you for the recommendation! Appreciate everyone who had input, thanks!
Glad you liked them!
The ones I have are ANC noise canceling and I'll tell you when I was commuting sometimes I'd just leave that on and not even listen to music. It blissfully reduced noise around me. It also has an app where you can have the bass level set to your preferences - it sends tones to the headphones to calculate the sound based on your hearing. Not sure if all of them have this ability but it sure was a nice addition to have.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Am I the only one who almost always forgets to go to the specific Amazon Smile page to make purchases? I even have a cause I'm super passionate about and they would get so many donations from me if I remembered! :rolleyes::lol:

I have Amazon Smile bookmarked on my browser. There is a way to use Amazon Smile through the regular Amazon phone app: Amazon.com: AmazonSmile in the Mobile App Just a matter of clicking on something in your Settings. Wish Amazon would promote Smile more :ruminating:

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have Amazon Smile bookmarked on my browser. There is a way to use Amazon Smile through the regular Amazon phone app: Amazon.com: AmazonSmile in the Mobile App Just a matter of clicking on something in your Settings. Wish Amazon would promote Smile more :ruminating:
I have it set up in the app on my phone so I always shop through Smile, but please be aware that you can't shop through Smile on the tablet app. So when I shop on my tablet I just use my browser.

Am I the only one who almost always forgets to go to the specific Amazon Smile page to make purchases? I even have a cause I'm super passionate about and they would get so many donations from me if I remembered!
As for remembering - I permanently have an Amazon Smile tab open in my browser on my tablet, that way I don't have to remember.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Amazon Smile bookmarked on my browser.
Yeah... I always type in addresses to open tabs... so if I don't remember, then a bookmark will not help. Glad it works to help you remember to use it though!

As for remembering - I permanently have an Amazon Smile tab open in my browser on my tablet, that way I don't have to remember.
That's a good strategy. Maybe I'll try that :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can set your browser to open to a specific web site (say, Amazon Smile ;) ) every time you use it. It's the "homepage" option in your browser settings.

Some PC / Mac web browsers also have a bookmarks toolbar right under the address bar for easy access. See the blue and orange rectangle boxes below:

Untitled123.jpg

Tablet and smartphone web browers may have something similar.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can set your browser to open to a specific web site (say, Amazon Smile ;) ) every time you use it. It's the "homepage" option in your browser settings.

Some PC / Mac web browsers also have a bookmarks toolbar right under the address bar for easy access. See the blue and orange rectangle boxes below:

View attachment 405682

Tablet and smartphone web browers may have something similar.
Is that similar to bookmarking, like you have to remember to click on it still? Or it autoadjusts the address if I type in amazon to amazon smile? Does Chrome have this seeing? I tried typing "homepage" into the search in the settings page, but nothing comes up. Would love to try this if it works as the latter description ^^ and can be used in chrome. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try these for desktop Chrome:

Your bookmark will appear in the bar under the address bar and you just click on it to go to that web site. Really handy feature for frequently accessed web sites. It's a pain to go use the regular bookmarks button and scroll through to find what you're looking for, even if you have things organized within folders.

To set up a homepage / start page: