Recommendations for comfortable desk chair?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I bought my current desk chair, I didn't think I was going to be working from home on a permanent basis. The guy who sold it to me warned me it wasn't a good chair for sitting in for long stretches of time, but I figured that was okay because I wouldn't be using it all that often, and it was on sale for a good price. But it is so uncomfortable, I'm just miserable, and really need to get something else. Does anyone have a desk chair they use sit in a lot and find it comfortable? Hopefully that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Chairs are sort of like beds - no single perfect fit for everyone. You really really need to sit in a chair to see if it fits your frame and feels comfortable to you. Office supply stores usually have a few to choose from as do some large furniture stores. Take you time and sit in them all.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I bought my current desk chair, I didn't think I was going to be working from home on a permanent basis. The guy who sold it to me warned me it wasn't a good chair for sitting in for long stretches of time, but I figured that was okay because I wouldn't be using it all that often, and it was on sale for a good price. But it is so uncomfortable, I'm just miserable, and really need to get something else. Does anyone have a desk chair they use sit in a lot and find it comfortable? Hopefully that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
the best chair should be custom made :)

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
in a furniture making workshop :) I would advise you to order an individual bed and a mattress for it, this will save your spine :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think custom made goes against the not costing an arm and a leg part. 🤪

I have a chair I loved but its at least 16 years old and needs to be replaced too. It was the only comfortable place to sit when I was pregnant with DS. It has one of those molded seats that supports you without putting pressure on your tail bone. So that and good back support matter most to me. DH is much taller than I am and prefers a higher back.

Staples had a great selection of chairs when we were in there a few weeks ago. I had no idea Tempurpedic and LaZBoy make desk chairs! I would go into a store like that to test some out. They may be having back to school or Labor Day sales too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think custom made goes against the not costing an arm and a leg part. 🤪

I have a chair I loved but its at least 16 years old and needs to be replaced too. It was the only comfortable place to sit when I was pregnant with DS. It has one of those molded seats that supports you without putting pressure on your tail bone. So that and good back support matter most to me. DH is much taller than I am and prefers a higher back.

Staples had a great selection of chairs when we were in there a few weeks ago. I had no idea Tempurpedic and LaZBoy make desk chairs! I would go into a store like that to test some out. They may be having back to school or Labor Day sales too!
Yeah, not going into stores yet. And the one I have was comfortable when I sat it in at the store, and not bad at first, it's just getting more and more uncomfortable. I'm thinking maybe I;ll go into the office this weekend and bring mine home. (yes, we're allowed).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need a new desk chair, too, so I'll be watching this thread for suggestions. For the past 10 years my desk chair has been one of those boring metal folding chairs you often see at banquets, conferences, etc. It functions, just have to add a super thick cushion to it so my butt isn't sore.Target had a basic desk rolling desk chair on sale recently for like $50 but I wasn't sure how well it would hold up. It's geared more towards college students than people who work from home for hours daily.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need a new desk chair, too, so I'll be watching this thread for suggestions. For the past 10 years my desk chair has been one of those boring metal folding chairs you often see at banquets, conferences, etc. It functions, just have to add a super thick cushion to it so my butt isn't sore.Target had a basic desk rolling desk chair on sale recently for like $50 but I wasn't sure how well it would hold up. It's geared more towards college students than people who work from home for hours daily.
My mother had a cheap chair from Walmart. It was like sitting on a wooden plank but worse. We gave her DHs executive style chair when we had to give up the office for a bedroom.

Yeah, not going into stores yet. And the one I have was comfortable when I sat it in at the store, and not bad at first, it's just getting more and more uncomfortable. I'm thinking maybe I;ll go into the office this weekend and bring mine home. (yes, we're allowed).
If you can’t test them; that’s how I would handle it. That sounds better than being stuck with another chair you don’t like!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a wonderful desk chair that I got from Staples. It was on sale for $25, and I loved it. Best to go there and sit in them to find one that's comfortable. And watch for sales. I've had severe back problems, including surgery twice, and this chair supports my back like none other.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, when I win the powerball.
custom-made items may not be more expensive and even cheaper than items from the store :)
1. they are of higher quality and last longer without repair or replacement :)
2. you can save money by giving up unnecessary elements of construction or decor :)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a wonderful desk chair that I got from Staples. It was on sale for $25, and I loved it. Best to go there and sit in them to find one that's comfortable. And watch for sales. I've had severe back problems, including surgery twice, and this chair supports my back like none other.
I did go to Staples and sit in the one I have and thought it was comfortable. It was at first. It's only sitting it daily since MId March that it's getting very uncomfortable. Which chair is it that you have? I wonder if Staples still has it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one of those, they are not good for sitting in long periods. My previous desk chair was one of my dining room chairs. Okay for dinners, but not all day. When I bought this one, it was with the idea I would work at home sporadically, it seemed comfortable enough for that. But then came Covid and now work at home is permanent.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
custom-made items may not be more expensive and even cheaper than items from the store
1598454563887.png

1. they are of higher quality and last longer without repair or replacement :)
2. you can save money by giving up unnecessary elements of construction or decor :)
Maybe someday :)