Recommendations For Cat With Food Allergies

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Luckily my own cat has no food allergies, but I've got a friend with a cat who does have allergies, and she's starting to have trouble getting the Royal Canin recipes that have protein sources she knows her cat can eat.

As far as I know, the cat has eaten venison, rabbit, and duck without incident. My friend isn't sure which (or how many) of the more common proteins her cat is allergic to, and I doubt she'd like to put her cat through a round of scratching and skin issues to find out (especially since the cat is FIV+; those scratches can get infected easily). The cat eats mostly dry food now and I'm not sure how she'd feel about going with a canned only diet, but feel free to mention them and I'll pass on the info so she can make her own choices.

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a few threads about cats with food allergies back when I was researching what to feed my own cat but I can't remember where they are, and I'm hoping that asking here will be quicker than exhaustively searching CatFoodDB (though it's a great tool). Anyone have recommendations to help my friend's cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for the responses! I'll recommend the Instinct or Blue Buffalo dry food to her, and if she wants to know about canned food too I'll pass those on as well.

It's a shame that she doesn't know exactly what the kitty is allergic to, since there are clearly a lot of great limited ingredient options, but the risk of triggering an allergic reaction just isn't worth it (since the cat ended up with an abscess from a scratch less than a month ago).

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is feeding dry, my cats Love the Farmina venison and pumpkin. :) They actually like all of the Farmina dry foods. the Venison is a particular favorite, and they normally are not bit Venison fans.