Recently adopted kitten…probably with rw :(

Jebel321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I adopted a kitten two weeks ago. I first noticed his nose a week ago, but I thought it was from him sticking his nose under the door when he’s locked in the bathroom at night. A friend mentioned the same thing happened to his cat. As of Tuesday night, there was a soft draft blocker under the door to keep him from doing it anymore.

Fast forward a week, and we sent off the ringworm PCR test Friday. Do you think it looks likely to you? The bad part is he has been all over my apartment and exposed to my adult dog and cat the last two weeks (yes, that was a tremendous mistake on my part). I feel defeated before I even start treatment because it’s going to be everywhere at this point. No one is showing signs of it yet, including me, but I know it can take a while. My other concern is quarantining him for weeks on end - he HATES being locked in the bathroom and screams most of the time, especially if he can hear me or the dog. I’m not sure how he’ll (or I’ll) do in that situation! He’s a pretty clingy boy. Any suggestions? I live in a two bedroom two bath apartment with carpet in the bedrooms.

I was looking through some old threads. I know it’s recommended to steam clean, buy a new high quality vacuum, etc., but I don’t have the funds for that combined with all the proper vet treatment, testing, and all of that. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can take him back to the shelter, but the damage is done environmentally and to my existing pets. 😫

Also, are there brands recommended for the dips and shampoos? He’s only about 9 old weeks or so, so I’m not sure what I can use for him versus the adult animals.

Thanks in advance…I’m freaking out pretty bad!!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jebel321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just noticed he had little scabs on his paws, and I wasn’t sure if there was a connection. Those actually seemed to have healed though. His nose hasn’t. I honestly don’t know what else it could be. He doesn’t fluoresce under a black light, but I know it sometimes doesn’t. Results will be back sometime Wednesday-Friday. Would you recommend starting serious treatment protocols now or waiting? I welcome any feedback. Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, since if it isn't there will probably be a completely different treatment that's required.

Jebel321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both - I appreciate the responses!! I will update once we get the results back. Grateful to have found this resource - I know you can often get this best information from those who’ve been through it. And I think I really need the moral support if it is ringworm! Haha

Jebel321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I most likely have my answer. I just saw this spot around my other (adult) cat’s eye - looks like hair loss. 😭

I know I need to get an antifungal shampoo, lime and sulfur dip, and I’ll have to talk to the vet about oral medication. What I don’t understand is the frequency in which to do these things (dip every 3 days I think) and if I can use the same products on all three animals since I’ve got an adult dog and cat and a kitten. Is the oral medication along with shampoo and dips the gold standard?

I think my largest concern is how to properly quarantine in my space. I was worried enough about the kitten being locked in a bathroom by himself for several weeks, but how do I do this if we are likely all infected? Have there been any others in this situation and if so, what did you do?

Attachments

Jebel321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I'm reach out one more time to see if I can get some feedback. I did spend time reading the link above, and I have talked to the vet again. The results are still pending, but since I saw more spots pop up on him, we're pretty sure it will be positive. She prescribed Itrafungol, and he started it today. I've got dip for him and the other cat and the medicated shampoo for the dog, who's not yet showing lesions. What I could still use feedback from others on is whether or not anyone was successful in treating ringworm without quarantining. I know the gold standard is quarantine, and I understand why. I also figure I am not the only person in this situation before, but I don't know anyone else who's been in the same one, which is why I'm turning to you wise folks.

Furthermore, if I DO lock him in the bathroom and he screams nonstop, how much damage is that doing to him stress-wise? What is it doing to his socialization? The shelter told me today the only resources they could offer were me surrendering him back to them (after spending close to $1K already). I have never dealt with ringworm, and I have never had a kitten. I want to do what's right and healthiest for everyone. If people tell me it's really in the interest of the kitten to take him back and let the shelter treat him and adopt him out to someone else, then I'll reflect and seriously consider that option. If there is legit hope I can fix this in a way that's feasible for everyone, I'd like to do that.

Thank you,
Jessica