Recent Illness And Meds, Post Delivery Spaying

Jenking1616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a cat two weeks ago from an emergency shelter I volunteer at.
The first night I had her she didn’t seem to be feeling well and the next morning had some eye and nasal drainage. Got her into the vet the following day. Pretty bad upper respiratory infection, fleas, and a small cut that was slightly infected in her neck. So we were prescribed steroids, antibiotics, dewormer, and flea meds. Made an appt for 4 weeks to give her time to recover and then do her vaccinations and spaying.
I suspected today she might be pregnant and got her to vet this afternoon who confirmed pregnancy. I totally forgot to ask, probably because I’m still in shock, can that recent illness and all of those meds be harmful for her or her kittens?

A quick additional question, how long is recovery after delivery where I can safely have her spayed? I never expected I’d be a kitten grandma, especially like this! Lol.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! She will be likely be fine, not sure about the kittens, that may be a "have to wait and see".

I think she can get pregnant again really soon after giving birth, but from @war&wisdom ;
It's generally advised to wait to spay mom until the kittens are 8 weeks old so that you're sure they can eat on their own. Moms can't always nurse after the surgery.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How far along does the vet think she is? It might be worth considering a spay/abort, given mom's health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenking1616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet believes she is probably around 5 weeks. I got her 2 weeks ago and she came to the shelter 1 week prior so she was prob barely 1-2 weeks pregnant then. The vet didn’t even want to spay and vaccinate for about a month after she was so sick last week. Last week I set up her spay appt for July 9th and today found out she was already pregnant :(
Kittens are beautiful so long as they aren’t mine! Lol!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenking1616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! She will be likely be fine, not sure about the kittens, that may be a "have to wait and see".

I think she can get pregnant again really soon after giving birth, but from @war&wisdom ;
It's generally advised to wait to spay mom until the kittens are 8 weeks old so that you're sure they can eat on their own. Moms can't always nurse after the surgery.
She won’t be getting pregnant soon after delivery. I have one female spayed cat, now her, and we do not allow our cats outside. Besides, we get coyotes around here and that’s just dangerous.
I just didn’t want to do it too early where it wouldn’t be good for her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m not a fan of spaying pregnant cats after the halfway mark which she is. I recommend spaying when kittens are 8 weeks old, and spay/neuter the kittens between 12-16 weeks.

The kittens should hopefully be okay in spite of the meds.

Thank you for adopting her! :)