Recent Diagnosis

allisonandmoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there,
Looking for any type of help at the moment. Moe is 8 years old and recently hasn’t been feeling the best. Did some blood work and high liver levels came back - vet has him on Baytril for 10 days as therapy to help and we’ll go from there. He’s a super picky eater and I use gravy and broths where I can but how do I get my cat to eat? This is the first day he hasn’t been eating and also the first day I gave him the dose. He ate a bit in the morning and he seems to be drinking water but I’m worried not eating will only lead to more problems. Does anyone have any experience with this?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Does he have a diagnosis? Was it just elevated liver values? Has an ultrasound been done? If not that would be a good thing to do next with a board certified internal medicine veterinarian. There is also a feline specific pancreatitis test that should be done. It’s called an FPLI.
He may be nauseous and that’s why he doesn’t want to eat. I would ask your vet about Cerenia tablets you can give him to help if that’s the problem. There is also an appetite stimulant called Mirtazipine that may help.
It is important that he eat. You can try getting some chicken baby food ( make sure it’s just chicken and water) and you can try smearing some on his lips to get him to eat it.
Baytril is a strong antibiotic, so he should be getting a probiotic like visbiome while on it.
If you can’t get him to eat, you need to reach back out to your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allisonandmoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Does he have a diagnosis? Was it just elevated liver values? Has an ultrasound been done? If not that would be a good thing to do next with a board certified internal medicine veterinarian. There is also a feline specific pancreatitis test that should be done. It’s called an FPLI.
He may be nauseous and that’s why he doesn’t want to eat. I would ask your vet about Cerenia tablets you can give him to help if that’s the problem. There is also an appetite stimulant called Mirtazipine that may help.
It is important that he eat. You can try getting some chicken baby food ( make sure it’s just chicken and water) and you can try smearing some on his lips to get him to eat it.
Baytril is a strong antibiotic, so he should be getting a probiotic like visbiome while on it.
If you can’t get him to eat, you need to reach back out to your vet.
Vet said it was high AST and ALT but everything else in the blood work is okay, discussed hepatitis and other causes but for the most part, vet seems positive he’ll be okay and we’d be able to keep him at bay and help lower the levels. We did fluids to help because he was experiencing vomiting. No ultrasound yet but he said that may be needed along with a liver biopsy if in another 2 weeks when we do BW they’re still high.
I’ll look into getting him some baby food, I’ll try anything at this point. I can tell he’s not feeling the best because he only wants to be in my arms - literally will not let me sleep because he wants me to hold him. Anyone know of a 24 hour vet line if needed?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The baby food for humans usually has a surprising small place in the grocery. Be sure to get the stuff without onions or spices, just plain meat. It comes pureed. It will keep for a couple of days in the fridge. You'll want to warm it to body temp - test on your wrist - before you give it to him.

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mirtazipine comes in two forms, a pill, and a transdermal that you rub on the ear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allisonandmoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanna say I was able to get him to eat! I tried a couple different things but Fancy Feast warmed up seemed to do the trick. I did have to let him eat from my hand but he went to town on it! I didn’t try to feed him the whole thing at once since it’s been a minute since he’s shown interest in food and I didn’t want his stomach to get upset. My vet requested an update on Tuesday so I’ll make sure to tell him the great lengths I’ve gone through with him. I appreciate the input from everyone!