Reasons for watery eyes?

g2u3c4c5i

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

On occasion, my cat gets a watery eye. I wouldn’t say frequently, but it is recurring.

It is just clear, watery tears. And it is either one or the other eye - never both at once.

Any idea what causes this sort of runny eye? It doesn’t usually last long, so it could just be some kind of seasonal allergy or sinus issue?

I normally just wipe it off with a warm cloth. She doesn’t behave any differently when it happens, but last night she was squinting a little when it was watering. Today it’s all clear again.

Thanks! :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Allergy, sinus or a blocked tear duct are all possibilities. If your cat doesn't have any other symptoms I'd just wait until her next annual exam to bring it up with her vet. If she has redness, the discharge is colored, third eyelid showing or difficulty opening the eye, I would see a vet sooner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

g2u3c4c5i

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, when she is sleeping, she’s not been closing her eyes all the way lately so the third eyelid is visible.

I don’t think it’s related though. This started a while back; she’s been sleeping deeper, twitching and that third eyelid is showing. All of which she never used to do. Might just be age? This is always now but rather new, while the watery eyes are a recurring problem that’s been going on a while longer.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Third eyelid comes across when they are sleeping, its not uncommon to see it if their eyelids open slightly in sleep. Especially if they are sleeping deeply.

If she was my cat, I'd feel comfortable waiting until her annual with what you've said.