Really Need Advice: New Home/owner, Same Neighbourhood, Outdoor Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ckrizzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd start feeding him over at Edwards right away.
I will do that. Any tips on how that might look? Bring him outside in a carrier over there, feed him, and then walk with him back? He won't walk into someone else's apartment right away. He's very skittish and nervous. Maybe after a while of the routine he'd walk on his own...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the info! There is some fur lost... but not huge amounts. I am just worried about the growling and screeching from Edward!! And occasional hiss. I shouldn't be worried about that? I want them to get along and play more gently haha.
This doesn't sound dangerous. The growling and screeching from Edward is pretty standard, to tell you the truth. Actually, it falls under my "sometimes a cat's gotta say what a cat's gotta say" theory. If no one bleeds, they will do better sorting it out themselves. And bear in mind that for a cat, "play" is "hunt and kill" practice. One gets a little over-amped, and the other says, "HEY! BACK OFF, BUD! THAT HURT!"

ckrizzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This doesn't sound dangerous. The growling and screeching from Edward is pretty standard, to tell you the truth. Actually, it falls under my "sometimes a cat's gotta say what a cat's gotta say" theory. If no one bleeds, they will do better sorting it out themselves. And bear in mind that for a cat, "play" is "hunt and kill" practice. One gets a little over-amped, and the other says, "HEY! BACK OFF, BUD! THAT HURT!"
Thanks! Should my cat then back off when Edward screeches? Because he doesn't haha.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, it's kinda like with kids...some back off when yelled at, some don't. You can try hissing at him, actually. That often works.

ckrizzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, it's kinda like with kids...some back off when yelled at, some don't. You can try hissing at him, actually. That often works.
Yeah he'll stop when I make a hissing sound or a loud noise. But I want him to back off when Edward says "NO!" Maybe eventually. Plus they're both still quite young (1.5 years) so he'll probably get less playful over time (I'm assuming...).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, start taking him over to your neighbor's house to eat beginning now. As difficult as it will feel, you need to begin acclimating your cat to eating at your neighbor's home.

Is there any chance you can take your cat back at some point in the future?

ckrizzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, start taking him over to your neighbor's house to eat beginning now. As difficult as it will feel, you need to begin acclimating your cat to eating at your neighbor's home.

Is there any chance you can take your cat back at some point in the future?
Yes it's so difficult :( Thank you for my advice! I hope I'll be able to, but I'm in a complicated situation that I prefer not to get into. At this point I'm going to transition him as if it's forever. I am so worried about him. I really hope he'll adapt and be happy there. I've had him since he was a tiny kitten and he loves me :(

ckrizzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please let us know how it goes as you begin taking him over to eat. It seems that is not happening yet.
I'm meeting with my neighbour today to get things started! I'll keep you posted. I'm a bit worried about the logistics of doing this since it's super snowy here. I mean I can easily carry him over but ideally he'll walk.

ckrizzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will he stay in place to eat on Edward's porch? The smells will be powerful there. I'd start with that. One a day maybe.
Edward doesn't have a porch exactly. He lives in the basement of the house next door. I could take him to that porch. But there are 5 other cats that live in that apartment and frequent the porch! I'm going to try to take him over. Start today and see how it goes.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That looks wonderful. It's good they're eating near one another. Aggression over food is a struggle re-assuring both parties there is plenty to eat is a great way to start a good bond.