Really,how often do you work out ?

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you work out everyday or just a few days a week ? What kind out workout do u do ?

walk

treadmill

run in a park

gym

I must admit, I only walk to the post office every other day and maybe in the mall all around as I window shop walking by  

But right now,I'm going to back therapy and doing some work there too and when my last 3 sessions are over I'm going to continue them at home.

dejolane

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been riding my exercise bike most weekdays for a few weeks now.  I'm not sure if I can call it a habit yet.  Sometimes I miss Fridays so I'll ride on Saturday.  Or like last Friday I took my kids to a new park and did a lot of pushing one in a stroller trying to get him to sleep.  So that was a good long walk.

smarty88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was a group exercise instructor for 28 years so I used to workout about 13X per week! I retired last year to help my husband with our business and to be home more with the cats... I still worked out about 4X per week- mainly doing Zumba in my family room while the cats all lounge on the sofa and look at me like I'm wasting entirely too much energy.... and then some free weights just because I know I should  But now that we are fostering kittens, I'm afraid I will kill them so its been a couple of weeks without a workout at all- yesterday, I gathered all of them up (that took a lot of energy and a lot of time... about 20 minutes as they saw it as a game) and put them in a room so I could workout worry free.  I should do cardio everyday but with so many cats here right now, I'll get back on track once most of them are adopted.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to Zumba class twice a week and walk my dogs. :)

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I walk four miles a day, every day, including weekends. Sometimes I'll walk a little farther, depending on how I feel, but my average is four miles. I awaken at 5:00 with Rick and while he's feeding the cats, I'll hit the treadmill in the basement....2 to 2.5 miles. Then during my lunch hour at work, I'll go outside and walk 2 to 2.5 miles. I love walking; it's the cheapest exercise around - all you need is a good pair of walking shoes, especially during the summer. (I used to walk 3 miles over lunch and then another 4 miles at night, especially during the summer. I had a knee operation a couple years ago, though, and that has really thrown my whole program for a loop.)

I need to get back on track with my exercise program. I used to lift dumbbells three times a week (Mon, Wed, and Fri), doing a variety of exercises for my upper arms and core. I got away from it, though, and can't seem to get motivated enough to back get on track.

(Still having the love-hate relationship with that darn elliptical in the bedroom......I try, I really do, but man, I hate that thing.)

Last edited:

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I walk/jog/run most days for 2-4 hours. Rain or shine. If the rain is too heavy or its very windy, I will stay in and clean instead. Sometimes I do jogging in place. I'm in an apartment above another unit, so I can't have a treadmill or anything else noisy.

smarty88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Walking really is the best exercise... we are built for it! I need to remember that when my family room is hijacked by all the felines.  Regarding the dumb bells, maybe a workout buddy would help.  We live near a big bridge and I'll get a couple of girlfriends and we'll walk over the bridge, then do biceps at the bottom of the bridge, walk back over then do triceps, walk back over, etc... you get the picture.  We talk so much we don't realize we are working out.  We set up our weights at the bottom of the bridge on both sides so that we don't have to lug them around when we walk.

LuvMyParker, you walk/jog/run for 2 hours every day? 4 hours some days? You are my hero!!!!!!!! I love cleaning (good thing with all these cats!) and can do that for 8 or more straight hours.. but I don't know about exercising for 4 hours straight.  I would probably feel guilty because I'm not home doing something for the felines. :)

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been averaging around 4 days a week at the gym (sometimes 5). I don't do all the machines. Right now the bike for around 30 minutes, the treadmill for 20-30 minutes and the leg press. Our gym has lots of classes but I haven't gone to any of them yet. Paul does the bike and the leg press, a little on the treadmill but he doesn't last too long on that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need a excerise bike badly If I had the money it would be coming home with me for sure.

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been dancing folklorico (traditional Mexican dancing haha) for about 16 years now. Our classes are 2 to 3 times a week and are about 2 hours long.

Pic of me backstage at one of our annual performances: 

The dress I'm wearing is for dances from the state a Veracruz in Mexico. :) (please ignore the weird smile; I was a little nervous lol)

I also do Zumba with my girlfriend once a week. We get a good kick out of dancing! We want to start doing pole dancing (as a work out only! lol) but I'm not sure if my body is ready to hold itself up on a pole, lol. I "started" a jogging program which was supposed to start you off from zero minutes and build you up to run for an hour straight. I put the word "started" on quotations because I didn't not come remotely close to finishing the program. I think I was just not build for running and found no motivation for it unfortunately. :/ Maybe signing up for a 5K run? haha Then I would HAVE to train for it. :eek:

I think finding a class or a trainer you can go to helps a lot. Since the only motivation you need is getting to the class itself. The instructor/trainer does the rest of it (motivation, I mean haha). Having some one telling you what and how is much easier than trying to find something that would work for you at a home or at the gym. The problem now is time and money. *sigh*

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The dress I'm wearing is for dances from the state a Veracruz in Mexico. :) (please ignore the weird smile; I was a little nervous lol)

I also do Zumba with my girlfriend once a week. We get a good kick out of dancing! We want to start doing pole dancing (as a work out only! lol) but I'm not sure if my body is ready to hold itself up on a pole, lol. I "started" a jogging program which was supposed to start you off from zero minutes and build you up to run for an hour straight. I put the word "started" on quotations because I didn't not come remotely close to finishing the program. I think I was just not build for running and found no motivation for it unfortunately. :/ Maybe signing up for a 5K run? haha Then I would HAVE to train for it. :eek:

I think finding a class or a trainer you can go to helps a lot. Since the only motivation you need is getting to the class itself. The instructor/trainer does the rest of it (motivation, I mean haha). Having some one telling you what and how is much easier than trying to find something that would work for you at a home or at the gym. The problem now is time and money. *sigh*
How fun!  My Aunt has been taking dance classes at her DIL's studio for a few years now.  She started them to get in shape for their wedding but kept up with it afterward.  I'd always thought of that kind of dance class as being for kids or teens; but they had a good size group of grown women!  I have to say though; I think she'd rather have worn your dress style costume instead of what they did wear. 
  Her granddaughters were SUPER impressed however! 

My problem with classes is my lack of coordination!  I have trouble even keeping up with videos at home! 
  Even just regular work out ones; not dancing or anything.  The last time I tried to learn country line dancing I kicked a few people and then sat down... 
  I could try zumba at home maybe.  My cousin did and said her dog laid on the couch watching her like she'd lost her mind. 

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How fun!  My Aunt has been taking dance classes at her DIL's studio for a few years now.  She started them to get in shape for their wedding but kept up with it afterward.  I'd always thought of that kind of dance class as being for kids or teens; but they had a good size group of grown women!  I have to say though; I think she'd rather have worn your dress style costume instead of what they did wear. 
  Her granddaughters were SUPER impressed however! 

My problem with classes is my lack of coordination!  I have trouble even keeping up with videos at home! 

Even just regular work out ones; not dancing or anything.  The last time I tried to learn country line dancing I kicked a few people and then sat down... 

I could try zumba at home maybe.  My cousin did and said her dog laid on the couch watching her like she'd lost her mind. 
Yeah our outfits tend to be very conservative. If we get something a little revealing we are like "woah now!" It's fun, though. Since the group has been together for some years now, it feels like a second family. :)

For the coordination thing, don't worry! I think it's best just to enjoy yourself and get a kick out of it (no pun intended)! I'm with you though on the country line dancing! It goes really fast! And if you are trying to follow people around its pretty funny, too. Ohh good times, indeed. Haha

I have a friend who gave up really fast on the coordination thing (she walked out of our first step class!). It takes a while to get the hang of it. Especially on TV since no one can come and tell you how to do certain things. But unless you are going to perform or you are having someone give you a score of some kind, you shouldn't worry! I believe that workouts and dancing (whether at home or in a class) is a personal experience. You do them for your own well being. So if you feel silly doing stuff, just remember that it is better than sitting around and NOT doing anything at all. :) So go for Zumba!

It would be great if someone compiled videos of pet reactions to all of this. Haha

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am afraid if I join a excerise class I would not be able to keep up with the other skinny ladies. Maybe I should ask to be put in the classes with women who are 190-210 pounds. I'm tried of being overweight . within the last 2 months I lost 5 pounds but the doctor said I have put it back on. I walk all the time when my back permits me too.I hate to get on the scale when I see it in the bathroom I might throw it away. !!!!!

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am afraid if I join a excerise class I would not be able to keep up with the other skinny ladies. Maybe I should ask to be put in the classes with women who are 190-210 pounds. I'm tried of being overweight . within the last 2 months I lost 5 pounds but the doctor said I have put it back on. I walk all the time when my back permits me too.I hate to get on the scale when I see it in the bathroom I might throw it away. !!!!!
You should not be concerned for the classes. Zumba, for example (at least the ones I've been too) has a wide variety of students. From grandmas to high school girls and of course men all ranging in weight, body type, etc. For exercise classes like a step class this should work the same way. Remember that everyone is different! Focus on yourself rather than those skinny girls. You are there for you, not them.

However... if you want someone to help you personally and you don't want to feel pressured or awkward or uncomfortable from being in an exercise class, try a personal trainer. Many (if not all) gyms have them and might even be able to work with your budget. They also modify workouts just for you. For example, if you have a back problem, and such.

I hate scales, too. I haven't heard of anyone who loves their scale lol. (I think if I ever do, I would be too tempted to slap them with it :p ) I just decided to do without and find out my weight at doctor check ups and things like that.

Don't give up! It helps to create short term (and realistic) goals. If you talk to your doctor, I'm pretty sure they can help you with these.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I walk every other day and do the mall walk sometimes too.  But I would like to know why do they put the skinny women in videos and not overweight girls ? Only Richard Simmons goes the extra mile with overweight women.in his videos and helps alot of them.

Once he was at our mall and I got an autograph in one of his cookbooks which now I can't find cause he moved last August.

dejolane

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't be afraid. :) I am by no means skinny and nobody should judge you. And not all the girls in my class are skinny. It's for everyone! Zumba people especially my instructor are super supportive and nice. Zumba is for everyone of different body shapes and fitness levels. I felt like a fish out of water when I started a year ago. But, I don't now and I am fit and healthy.

Everyone has to start somewhere and trust me nobody is going to judge you on how much you weigh or look. And you don't have to have dance experience to join a zumba class. They are all there for the same reason; to be healthy. It's not about being skinny that makes you healthy. Being fit and in shape is the most important not how much you weigh. 

I would encourage you to find a class in your area. I am not sure how old you are but there is zumba gold for older people and unfit individuals.

My instructor teaches a beginners class. I was never in her beginner's class as she just started teaching them last year. I am in her advanced class. But she teaches zumba gold and a beginner's class. I wish you were in my area because you would love her class. And she is super encouraging. :) Plus you will make new friends and I have!

Enter your zipcode and you can find a class. :) I would suggest zumba gold for you if you are worried about keeping up. Plus, it doesn't matter... as long as you're moving you're doing it! AND having fun! :)

http://www.zumba.com/en-US/parties/search/

Last edited: