Reaction to spay sutures, then staples

krjohnson2343

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I'm new here but I've had cats forever. Last Monday my 7 month old cat was spayed, with the wound closed with glue and dissolvable suture. Friday, she started having some drainage and a little bit of opening so we went back to the vet this Monday, where she had the site debrided, resutured, stapled, and started on antibiotics. I noticed more drainage last night so we went back to the vet today. The vet found an abscess around one staple so that was removed along with two additional staples nearby. The vet said she had a reaction to the dissolvable sutures and now her body is reacting to the staples in that area as well. The plan is to treat the open area now as an open wound and they will be flushing it several times a day with chlorhexidine solution and packing it with silver sulfadiazine ointment, and keeping the area open until it begins to heal. The vet is going to keep her over the weekend to monitor her.

Has anyone else ever had this type of experience with a spay? The vet said that she has seen some reaction to suture before but not to the degree my little Bandi is experiencing. I'm worried for her :(