Reaction to Solensia

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Dude had a Solensia injection yesterday afternoon. He was active last night but since then he's just slept. Has anyone else had this reaction?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Follow-up for Dude: He basically slept for the first 3 days, on the 4th day was a little zonked-out (sat staring ahead) but somewhat active, day 5 more active less "zonk", day 6 seems back to normal activity. He hasn't been eating well even with Elura so despite the inactivity he's lost a little weight. Dude seems to be in less pain, but still not back to normal. Currently, this seems to be better than Gabapentin (was only on 12.5mg/day) - less groggy & slightly less pain. If his appetite returns I'll be happy with this medicine.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lethargy doesn't seem to be a prevalent reaction to Solensia, but as I recall there was <5% who did experience it. It does sound like a pretty bit of a reaction though. You could also ask about getting something else besides Elura, it might be nausea that your cat is experiencing as opposed to lack of appetite. Nausea seems to have been a side effect with about 7% of the cats in one study. Have you reported these effects to your vet? They may want to know so that they can report it themselves for data collection purposes.

Did Dude have anything else done during that same vet visit?

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lethargy doesn't seem to be a prevalent reaction to Solensia, but as I recall there was <5% who did experience it. It does sound like a pretty bit of a reaction though. You could also ask about getting something else besides Elura, it might be nausea that your cat is experiencing as opposed to lack of appetite. Nausea seems to have been a side effect with about 7% of the cats in one study. Have you reported these effects to your vet? They may want to know so that they can report it themselves for data collection purposes.

Did Dude have anything else done during that same vet visit?
Nothing else done. For meds that can cause lethargy/sleepiness, Dude always seems to have that reaction. Elura has always been hit or miss, so I was alternating it every other day with cyproheptadine which was working great until I started using gabapentin. Because the 1st day with Solensia seemed to go so well, but he wasn't eating I gave him cyproheptadine which may have caused some drowsiness but it's only 1/4 the recommended dosage, 1mg once a day. Cyproheptadine by itself never made him drowsy but the combo might've. I'll probably make up some slippery elm bark to give him for nausea. I'll notify my vet tomorrow.

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
J jmichaelp are you still using cyproheptadine with the Elura? This is probably not the answer, but my vet told me that Elura is used for cats with kidney problems and I found it to be much less effective than Mirataz when I tried it a few months ago.
I tried cyproheptadine the first day but wasn't sure if that made him drowsy so I haven't used it again. I've never noticed drowsiness from using the small dose (1mg) I give him. I have some Mirataz but will have to look up the side effects.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi J jmichaelp !

For Mirataz side effects, there's a very thorough coverage of the appetite stimulants commonly used with cats on the "Tanya" kidney-cat site - it's factually reliable and written in plain language. Besides the usual dosages/side effects/contraindications, there are also anecdotal reports from folks who participate in the "Tanya" online support community/groups. You'll find it all here: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide - Appetite Stimulants.

Your experience with Elura is mirrored in reports from those online groups. (The same drug by a different manufacturer and dubbed "Entyce" was, at least in my recollection, a 'flop' on this forum in early experiences.)

Hope that helps.

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Solensia wore off after 3 weeks. I started 1mg/day Cyproheptadine & changed his Prednisolone to daily. His appetite has returned to normal. I'm not sure I want to continue the Solensia but Gabapentin wasn't great either.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I stopped Solensia with my cat after 6 months' worth of injections. It seemed like it was less effective, and I wasn't sure if I was seeing signs of adverse/side effects (itchiness and excessive vocalization) which now that 3 months have passed, they have subsided but not totally gone away. So, maybe unrelated. I also felt uncomfortable using it any longer than that as there were no trials done on CKD cats beyond Stage 2, and most studies were only based on 6-month trials, even with 'healthy' cats.

I am trying Buprenorphine now, as Feeby will not take gabapentin. The 'jury is still out' on this pain med.

Besides Solensia, have you considered Adequan?
Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan (Adequan) - Veterinary Partner - VIN