Reaction to first distemper vaccine

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 1.5 year old cat got her first distemper vaccine today and she had a reaction to it. By the time we got home from the vet she was vomitting, panting and drooling. I took her back and they gave her fluids and Benadryl

what else should I watch for? I’m petrified of getting her booster in 4 weeks. She is a strictly indoor cat

any thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No they didn’t send me home with anything. They just said keep an eye on her and before her booster, give her 10mg Benadryl

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Robyn5678 Robyn5678 That sounds standard as per the VCA's guide that I linked above. Keep an eye on the allergy symptoms and if she has more or they continue, you can call back for more benedryl.

That's pretty standard for humans who get allergic reactions to them as well. My wife they give benedryl to before any new medication.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!! I’ve had a lot of cats and never had one have a reaction. She’s currently being sleepy and lethargic but isn’t puking or panting.

I feel better! Thank you

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Casper had a horrible reaction to his distemper vaccine when he was 3. We did attempt another, with the aid of Benadryl, but unfortunately his second reaction was worse and he had to be put on steroids for a short time. He was panting very heavily, his temperature was up, and his heart rate was very high. After that, vet said it wasn't worth the risk for a vaccine. But to your point yes, it is very rare. On the plus side, all my other cats were kept up to date on shots and we're all indoors.
Just a suggestion, but maybe check to see if you can have his booster scheduled when you know you'll be home and can take him to the clinic if it looks like the benadryl isn't working. Cats are somewhat like humans in that their subsequent reaction could possibly be worse if they are severely allergic. I don't want to scare you, but just adding some food for thought.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know it’s not recommended, but I’ve actually considered cancelling the booster but I have a few weeks to make that final decision. She didn’t perk up and eat or drink til this evening which was almost 36 hours after her vaccine. 😩 I know some of it could have been the Benadryl. She is strictly indoors so I need to weigh the pros and cons

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know it’s not recommended, but I’ve actually considered cancelling the booster but I have a few weeks to make that final decision. She didn’t perk up and eat or drink til this evening which was almost 36 hours after her vaccine. 😩 I know some of it could have been the Benadryl. She is strictly indoors so I need to weigh the pros and cons
You could also ask if there's a different version of the vaccine your vet could give, or if it can be given at a different dosage. ❣ Magnus had a delayed vaccine schedule before.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I totally understand. Each cat is different, I think Casper's was very rare. It was a tough decision, but ultimately worked out. All I can say is chat with your vet, let them know your concerns, and go from there. ❤

Kat Luv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat (in the 90s) that had an anaphylactic reaction to a rabies shot when she was 3yo). I was the last client for the day on a Friday, but luckily had chatted up the vet for nearly 30 min after shots, or they'd have been gone for the weekend (rural area). Chloe started having diarrhea and vomiting all over the place. She had to get steroids (quite a bit) and it affected her liver for the rest of her life. I chose to not do future rabies shots after, as she was indoor only, and the vet OK'd it. I'd second the idea that subsequent exposure to allergens can many times be more severe than the initial and ask your vet if it's absolutely necessary or could be split.

FWIW, my cat that had the reaction also had an allergic reaction to an ant or spider she found and ate in my apartment (I had no idea until we got to the emergency vet), approx 1 yr before the rabies shot reaction. She apparently had other allergies too, so you may want to ask your vet about that (likelihood of other allergies and what to watch for) as well.