re-stitch a 5 days old spay incision

azzhrndr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, my cat mochi (10 months old) had to get re-stitch today because she bite a couple stitches off even after the vet put her on e collar and suit.

she got spayed on feb 7th evening, and i bring her home right after she woke up, she doesn't really want to eat for the next 12-18 hours but i force feed her (she was fine with it) because she needs food so i can give her the prescribed antibiotics. on feb 10th i bring her in for a check up and turned out there's a white discharge/pus coming out of her incision and one stitches come out but the vet said one stitches is still fine and instructed me to clean the incision, and then applying some iodine and neomycin sulfate gel 2-3 times a day, but the next day (feb 11th) i saw another wet stitches come out probably because of the pus, so i bring her back in yesterday to get it checked up, and yes another stitches come out, so i asked the vet if it's better if she stays there because she's so active at home even when i locked her in my room and distract her everytime she started to lick herself even in the middle of the night. so she stays there since yesterday.

but i got the news today from the vet that she got out of her suit and pull out her bandage and couple stitches, still very active and have a big appetite (which is a relief because i was so anxious thinking about if she's under any stress there). so the vet going to re do the stitches again today, and i was wondering does that mean we are going back to day 1 again after the vet re-do her stitches? this is the picture the vet sent, the trouble maker herself

tbh i start to hate external suture, and probably would prefer glue if i need to get my cat spayed in the future

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think glue is better too. The cat can get hold of stitches to pull them out. I have had cats come apart a little at the incision, and though it took a little longer, they healed fine. I have never used a cone and they have never licked the incision far enough apart to require restitching. As long as she eats and doesn't hide, she is OK, keep up the antibiotics as prescribed. I put them in lickable treats, such as the broth ones out now. If you have a large dog kennel you might keep her in that for a few days, or a small room such as a bathroom, but you don't want to stress her into licking either! I wish her well, all the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azzhrndr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, the first and only time i had my cat spayed was with glue and i had no complication, but we change vet to a closer location and bigger place, so i thought it'd be the same (that they'd use glue). another lesson for me to ask the vet first what they'd be using for the incision. and yes i would put her in a crate after i take her home but i would let the vet care for her for 1-2 days to see how the stitches doing. thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azzhrndr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, the first and only time i had my cat spayed was with glue and i had no complication, but we change vet to a closer location and bigger place, so i thought it'd be the same (that they'd use glue). another lesson for me to ask the vet first what they'd be using for the incision. and yes i would put her in a crate after i take her home but i would let the vet care for her for 1-2 days to see how the stitches doing. thanks!