Re-purposing, DIY recipes and Contraptions

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are so many of us who have done our own DIY projects, who make their own foods/treats and re-purpose everyday items for our kitties. And usually they are better, more effective and MUCH more cost effective.
I would like to start a thread about re-purposing items, DIY contraptions and home made products (include your recipes) that have helped you save money. And also to give ideas about how to re-purpose an item that someone may have never thought of using before.

Some examples I have are:

I use in my living room, beautiful, yet super cheap beaded necklaces as tie backs for my curtains. They were only a few dollars and look way better than expensive decorative tie backs that you would have to buy at any box or specialty store.

When my great aunt passed away, her daughter came across a huge collection of brooches, they are just costume jewelry, and not worth much but they are beautiful. She does not wear brooches, but did not have the heart to give them away. She ended up using them to decorate her Christmas tree. It added so much sparkle and glitter!

I have a lot of long necklaces, but they get tangled if I just put them in a box. Those tall jewelry boxes are so dang expensive, so what I did was buy these pretty yet plain key ring hooks from the dollar store and strategically mounted them by the closet. Not only does it keep my necklaces from tangling but it looks really pretty and makes choosing accessories very easy.

As for home made recipes, I don't use traditional shampoo as it is not good for my curly dry hair. And the prices for specialty shampoos are robbery. So I did some research and now make my own cleansing conditioner.
I don't have exact measurements, because I just mix until I feel it's right but this is what I use in it.

Basic silicone, paraben and sulfate free conditionner (I'm currently using the tresemme brand)
Apple Cider Vinegar
Tea tree essential oil
Peppermint essential oil
And sometimes - depending on my mood...
Lavender or Frankincense essential oils.
If my hair is feeling a little drier than usual, I will also add some coconut, castor or grapeseed oil to the mix.

My hair is much healthier now that I make my own stuff!!!

So lets share some DIY ideas and ingenious re-purposing contraptions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have recently gotten the idea of using an oversized ceramic or porcelain pot/jar with lid as a nice bathroom garbage can. It's heavy enough to not get knocked over by our critters and it has a heavy lid to keep them out. It would also be much prettier than a traditional garbage can.
Obviously it would be more expensive then getting a cheap waste basket but it would have better functionality. And if your bathroom is small and you don't have extra space for decorations, it serves a dual purpose. It would also be handy at making your bathroom look nicer if you don't have a "hidden" or tucked away area to place your waste basket, and don't want an ugly garbage can being the first thing you see in there.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I love repurposing things from the thrift shop. Here is a display stand I made to use when I do craft shows selling my Swiffer covers. The bottom piece is a knife holder on top of a lazy susan piece. The tall piece is a candleholder. The top rack is a metal something I found, not sure it’s original use . Also shown is one of 35 or so hangers that hold my covers and hang on the rack . They are made of cut curtain hangers and a popsicle stick. With the lazy Susan bottom shoppers can rotate it to see all the covers I am selling.
CFB1A1E0-3CEE-47EC-A690-EB4C60B6B471.jpeg