Raw cat's nose

Rknowles138

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girl Casserole just developed a raw red nose over the weekend, about 6 years old, 3 other cats in the house, 2 that she’s new to in the past 4 months. She still eats and drinks water, can be lethargic but was also loving and attention seeking earlier in the day. Hides out and sleeps and I’ll check on her, has a bit of drool collecting on her top lip to one side, smelly, dabbed it with coconut oil to try and help. Any leads on what this may be?
AA92CAC1-7F80-4C82-A063-3C91CF6FBA17.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Rknowles138 Rknowles138 and welcome to TCS.:)
We moved your post from another, older thread, and there are others on this problem, so it's definitely a 'thing'.

In one of them this was mentioned:

There was another thread about this and if I remember correctly, the picture looked similar, and it turned out to be a fungal infection.
The only way to really know, of course, is a visit to the vet.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl Casserole just developed a raw red nose over the weekend, about 6 years old, 3 other cats in the house, 2 that she’s new to in the past 4 months. She still eats and drinks water, can be lethargic but was also loving and attention seeking earlier in the day. Hides out and sleeps and I’ll check on her, has a bit of drool collecting on her top lip to one side, smelly, dabbed it with coconut oil to try and help. Any leads on what this may be?View attachment 381327
Hello Rknowles138 Rknowles138 and family and welcome to TCS! Our mighty Mod mani mani is right! and I'm just seconding that and hoping cutie Casserole will be well very soon! She's very cute. How old is she and how is her health in general? A vet check would be my next move, definitely. Please keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rknowles138

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is 7. Such a little sweetie. I have a vet visit set up for next Thursday and they said she probably has an upper respiratory infection and licked her nose raw.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is 7. Such a little sweetie. I have a vet visit set up for next Thursday and they said she probably has an upper respiratory infection and licked her nose raw.
Good on ya for the appointment. Hoping it's easily treatable and that she'll be well very quickly! Seven is still young, so she should heal fast.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact she has smelly drool makes me wonder if she has an oral infection. Are you able to open her mouth at all?

Does she play with her food and make a mess or chew on only one side?

Oral pain can also make them lick their nose/lips.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That sounds like bs to me. Licked her nose raw? Unlikely. if it progresses, I would definitely try to get in earlier.