Raspy breathing, meows! Throwing up water

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello ,I’ve a 8 months old kitty ( phoebe ) !
around 40 days back, out of the blue suddenly she started having raspy/congested/noisy breathing and her meow’s became like sore throat meow’s , like our voice we get after screaming a lot. Took her to the vet and she said its “cold” and gave her a cold medicine and told me she will be fine. She got better after like 2 days.
Now today while i was in the bathroom, phoebe was meowing a lot because i wasn’t around and after 5 minutes of me coming out, her voice became raspy again, breathing like she has a congestion in nose and meow’s very low and like congested-raspy so i immediately took her to different vet and they told me she must have smelled something poisonous or came across something which was harmful ( which has chances since our bathroom is in area where we have a lot of random stuff kept , like behind the rooms).
now my concern is what else could it be?
Few things to note :
1. She never finishes her food in one go, every-time i put even 1/4 of the food , she will eat and little and leave it and will ask for food in 20-30 min again and she won’t eat what’s already in the bowl and will want me to put new food.
2. her poop is normal, pee is normal as idon’tfeel something might be wrong.
3. her activity and behaviour is all good too normal
4. She drank water infront of me and in 3 seconds she spitted it out in a single motion. She has done it now 2-3 times and its just water. She hasn’t thrown up or any symptoms of diarrhoea

now what do i do? What could it bethat’s causing raspy meows and breathing. Also she is meowing a lot today than usual.

Attachments

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In your title you mention throwing up water, but there is no mention of that in your description...only the raspy "voice". Is she unable to keep water down?

Is there some reason you took her to a different Vet this time? We are not Vets here, but I do wonder why this new Vet automatically suspected she got into something she shouldn't have. Did they run any tests?

If she is acting normal in all aspects other than the raspy voice, she is probably fine. typically signs to look for are changes from the norm in eating habits, litterbox habits and sleeping and playing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In your title you mention throwing up water, but there is no mention of that in your description...only the raspy "voice". Is she unable to keep water down?

Is there some reason you took her to a different Vet this time? We are not Vets here, but I do wonder why this new Vet automatically suspected she got into something she shouldn't have. Did they run any tests?

If she is acting normal in all aspects other than the raspy voice, she is probably fine. typically signs to look for are changes from the norm in eating habits, litterbox habits and sleeping and playing.
I forgot about the water while writing description so edited it. Seems like she can’t keep the water down, if its a sip or two, its fine but if she drinks normal amount then she throws back.
and also took to different vet coz the other vet was far and she didn’t seem to checkup properly what i saw last time. This new vet asked me if she has been in area where there are foreign objects/ plans and my bathroom is surrounded with them( only 1 plant though ) and there’s few other stuff laying around , its in different area but phoebe sometimes go there if we forget to close the door. She isnt allowed to go there.
and no they didn’t run any test, they said its more than likely to be that she smelled something she shouldn’t have and gave her 2 injections and a med and sent us home.
now she is meowing loudly sitting near gate but not often and her raspy breathing is better but i wanna find out why it happened

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any chance there is something different about your water that is irritating her throat? If there is congestion involved, then that could mean swelling in her throat and/or airways. If not the water, then I would relocate whatever these foreign objects/chemicals/etc. to somewhere she cannot get to and/or put up a note on the bathroom door to remind people to close the door on their way out. Surely, find a way to keep her from the plant too, especially if it is a potentially toxic one.

If you can manage to do that and the raspy-ness doesn't return, then you have likely found the issue. If it comes back, then you will need to tell the vet that you removed any possible irritants, and yet the condition still persists.

A cat that doesn't eat much at one time can often be referred to as a grazer. They just want to eat a little bit but frequently. My current 19+yo cat has always been like this. I don't think this really seems to be an issue all by itself, particularly when everything else besides this raspy/congestion issue is normal.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would look for a feline only vet and take her there. What is the plant that you have? Some plants are toxic and can cause severe irritation to the esophagus. That could cause her to refugee water, which is what you are describing.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
So yesterday went to the vet again and he gave 3 more injections and said she likely has respiratory infection in throat. Today she drank water and started coughing again , her voice and breathing isn’t raspy anymore but she is now having liquid stool.
I’ve attached picture below of her last 2 stool ( both within 6-7 hours ).
do i take her to a different vet and get tests done? The one i went before is govt and they don’t do tests.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Find out what the injections were for and how long they last - there is a good chance one or more of them could cause diarrhea. You will need to know this information so you can share what her treatments have been so far, if you do choose to see another vet. If she is doing well otherwise, you could wait to see if these injections may take some time to work.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Find out what the injections were for and how long they last - there is a good chance one or more of them could cause diarrhea. You will need to know this information so you can share what her treatments have been so far, if you do choose to see another vet. If she is doing well otherwise, you could wait to see if these injections may take some time to work.
I couldn’t read the injections name ( since it’s handwritten) but one of them is Avil . She is active and normal but still coughing and last pooped in the morning ( loose ) .
here’s the video of her coughing which is 99% after she drinks water. Taking her to vet in few hours
Phoebe coughing VIDEO

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That sounds like my cat when he has an asthma attack. But if it only happens after drinking?? How long does the coughing go on? If this doesn’t resolve, you might want to get a second opinion or talk to your vet about an X-ray.

I forgot. Has your cat recently been anesthetized?

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. That sounds like my cat when he has an asthma attack. But if it only happens after drinking?? How long does the coughing go on? If this doesn’t resolve, you might want to get a second opinion or talk to your vet about an X-ray.

I went to the vet and came back , this was different vet, the same vet i got her spayed from ( which is when she for anaesthesia ) . He said cats commonly can get asthma and prescribed 5 days course of antibiotics ( cetirizine and one more ) and said she will get better and i asked if any tests are required so he said no its fine as of now since its very mild.
but also phoebe is meowing a lot? Like mainly towards the door but she never did this much before. But when I approach , she is playful so I don’t even know if she is in pain or what.
also her coughs are mainly after drinking water but it happens normally too and last for 3-4 seconds maximum.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw your video. It sounds like Tessa having an asthma attack.