Rash around ear and eye area

saskia222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off, just want to say I love this board. As a longtime lurker and someone who went through a kitty health scare last year and early this year - it has been a source of comfort.

My 11 yr old tuxedo cat "Pig" has been head butting and itching the area between his eyes and ears for the last few days. Didn't think much of it but last night I noticed what appear to be rashes in that area. The hair there has been thinning slightly compared to a few years ago when it was more full.

On the right side, I see what appears to be a rash like cluster close to his ear opening. I also noticed a small flesh colored bump next to where the ear opening and front of ear meet. On the left side, I dont see a rash per-say but what looks like the beginning of a deep zit closer to the to the top of his eye.

I reached out to his vet and also scheduled a vet visit (altho 2 weeks out) but wanted to see if anyone has experienced this with their kitties.

Some additional health background on Pig - he has had multiple teeth extractions, was diagnosed with kidney disease stage 2 early last year and most importantly had an abscessed tooth removed in early Jan. That tooth issue gave us quite a scare as lat last fall his right side of his face swelled up and we were worried it was cancer. A biopsy ruled that out and antibiotics helped a lot. However, once the antibiotics were stopped the swelling gradually returned. Our vet went in and removed an abscessed tooth - noting the bony area around the tooth was soft. Additional biospy of this bone also ruled out cancer.

So needless to say the last few months for Pig have not been fun and really hoping this is just a rash related to allergies or maybe even fungal? I will probably take him in to the emergency vet if it doesnt get better soon. Ive attached some pictures of what it looks like and appreciate any response. Thanks!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor Pig!! It sure looks like it could be some sort of allergy. Although cats can develop food allergies even after having eaten the same food for a long time, it is helpful to also look at other potential sources. Does Pig go outside and perhaps has been exposed to something out there? Any new items in your home, carpeting/blankets/laundry detergents/litter changes/etc?

You could send pics to your vet to see what they think. Maybe that will prompt a quicker appt. or even some suggestions for treatment just by looking at it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saskia222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for your reply! I sent our vet some pics and she recommended 5mg of Zyrtec to see if that helps clear it up. Pig never goes outside but we're in NY and it has been unreasonably warm - spring like so maybe the culprit is allergies. He is also on Royal Canin food for kidney disease although we did get him a new flavor to try a few weeks back and then stopped once we stocked up on his regular food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to the Zyrtec, you might consider getting some chamomile tea to help clear up those spots a little faster. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on those spots with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day.

Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for Pig to ingest should he do so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saskia222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I am going to try that now - thank you so much again!!