“Rare” problem casing my cat to go blind - please help

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

So, last week my cats left eye started to go cloudy and had problems seeing, phoned vets who wont see my cat In person due to COVID-19. I spent the whole week trying to find a vet who would see him in person as via phone you cant really tell there was a problem. At the weekend, his other eye went all red and bloodshot. I managed to find a vet who would see him (even though its not life threatening).

My sister took him to the vets who said that they are unsure why and needed to speak to other vets regarding why. He gave us some medication and we have been giving him it all this week. We had a follow up appointment today, which my mum took him to. The vet said that they have only had 1 other case like my Taffy s before, and they are really rare, coming about 1 in every several years.

Apparently his eye blood vessels are popping, causing the cloudy bloodshot eyes and said that this is a protein problem in his blood. he didn’t give a name for this, but he said that the only cases they know of, all the cats went blind. He went on to say that cats other senses pickup when a cat goes blind, but we need to be careful until then.

So, does anyone know why? What is this called? any treatments?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no idea exactly what this might be, there are a couple of things that it COULD be. Don't hesitate to call and ask your vet the name of this issue. They'll be happy to tell you. I am sure that if there were treatments, he would have told you. But do let us know exactly what is going on, ASAP, so we can help with research. We may come up with something.

If worse comes to worst, your vet is right. You're baby will adjust, and will not be miserable. You will fret over it more than he will. There are a good many things that you can do to make his life interesting and happy. Make sure that there are plenty of clutter-free areas, and that they stay that way ALL OF THE TIME. Don't allow anyone to put things down and leave them in his walkways (he will develop those as he goes along). And get toys that make a sound. I have a friend with a blind cat who loves Da Bird. All she did was tie a little jingle bell onto the feathers, and her girl took to it like a champ!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry you and your cat are going through this, especially since the vet is not sure exactly what it is. I just did a search and came up with hyphema - could that be what it is? See link below for a related article. Maybe something to discuss with the vet.
Blood in the Front of the Eye in Cats

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry about this and agree that you need to have the name of this condition for several reasons. As for blind animals, they do adjust completely, especially if they go blind in the same place that they lived previously. Leave everything where it is/was like major pieces of furniture and don't "booby trap" the house with other things on the floor. I had a blind dog who was so comfortable in the house that I did not realize the extend of her blindness UNTIL we moved houses and everything was different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

so, we have been giving Taffy the medication from the vets and he had his checkup.

he has gone from a completely red blood right eye and no vision. He now has some vision and nearly completely blood shot free. However the vet said that his sight is coming back but unsure how much will be there. His pupils are jagged and needs a eye drop that makes him dribble and opens his pupils. His other eye has become completely clouded, but this has greatly improve by 30% or so at a guess.

the vet no longer thinks its the protein prob as he wouldn’t recover like he has and thinks it’s some sort of virus.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am glad to hear that there has been some improvement at least. Even partial vision will be a huge help with navigating the house.