*RANT* Why is having cats such an ISSUE?

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Putting them in the box doesn't help for spraying anyways, spraying isn't them peeing in the wrong place or lack of always using the litter box. You have to do what you have to do and no one has a right to judge someone on that. I have known more than a couple cat who actually sprayed while in the litter box, now tell me another way to fix that?

I have had plenty of people judge me for having my cat Spaz(RB 2002, thank you MIL for killing her, and yes that is sarcasm) declawed. The situation was she was being extremely destructive toward humans with her claws. I had her attack my face and scratch all to heck while I was asleep, had her attack me full-out claws while sitting on the couch, attack with claws simply because you walked across the room. This was to the point of drawing serious blood, my boyfriend(now ex-husband) had to get stitches after one of her attacks. This was not normal cat scratching or attacks(like her attacking our feet at the end of the bed through the covers, that was normal and even cute), this was way beyond that, which is obvious from the measures we went through to stop this. We went to the vet and, after verifying she was in good health and ruled out anything medical we tried everything suggested(and yes we consulted multiple vets), from behavior modification, to behaviorists, to medication, to I can't even remember(this was like 9 or 10 years ago)we tried literally everything suggested to stop this behavior, shelled out money that we didn't have. She was never feral, we knew the person we got her from(and all her cats who were all well treated), she was raised inside a house, was very well socialized(she loved anyone and everyone). we had met both of Spaz's parents, and asked if her brother was having similar issues when this started(he wasn't.) She did this as a kitten(first time was while I was asleep and she was maybe 4 months old) through adulthood(obviously it took years before we exhausted everything.) Finally the vet had nothing else to offer but to declaw her. Yes, I know exactly what declawing is and how it is done, and what it involves but I had no other choice. It was either have her put to sleep(no rescue would or obviously could re-home her due to this and we couldn't keep her, we couldn't afford having to go to the doctor to get patched up all the time nor could we even think about having kids when she was so unpredictable) or get her declawed. I saw no reason to have her put to sleep since she was a healthy, happy, and loving cat when she wasn't attacking us for no reason, and yes it was for no reason, there was never a set pattern of when she would do it, remember we used a behaviorist to try and cure this and they(yes, we tried more than one) couldn't ever figure out why she was doing this or what was possibly setting her off. I mean why do you think we named her Spaz? This wasn't about saving my furniture, we had an old and obviously useless leather car phone(remember those from the '80s) case that we gave her to scratch and she used that, she never scratched a single bit of furniture that she wasn't allowed to. We had an old vinyl chair that boyfriend used at his computer that we hated with a passion so we let her use that until the chair finally and thankfully broke. She did pull stuffing out the recliner through a hole that was already there but she did that even after getting declawed, it was annoying because it made a mess but I could see my 7 year old doing the exact same thing when he was younger. This was about the fact that she was causing us to have to seek medical attention, multiple times because of these attacks. An ER even the cops in to interview me thinking my boyfriend was abusing me and I was lying to protect him and I got a psych evaluation to verify I wasn't crazy. She never used her teeth aggressively, just her claws. Go ahead and judge me, accuse me me of abusing my cat and tell me what I should have done instead of declawing her. Chances are I tried it and it didn't work.

These issues are not always black and white, there are many shades of gray. Just like people no two animals are the same and what worked for one might not work for another. Until you have experienced one of these issues don't judge how someone handles it. She has said it worked, she only had to do it twice and it hasn't harmed the cat in any way, either physically or mentally. I've been there and sometimes the only solution is not one you want to take but the one you have to because it works and solves the issue. When all conventional methods fail sometimes you have to try the unconventional ones. Tapping a cat on the bum and putting her nose to smell what she did is not abuse, she never said she was rubbing the cat's nose in it as far as I know, she was having the cat know what she got a tap on the bum for. Obviously the cat made the connection since the behavior ceased.

Taryn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taryn

Putting them in the box doesn't help for spraying anyways, spraying isn't them peeing in the wrong place or lack of always using the litter box. You have to do what you have to do and no one has a right to judge someone on that. I have known more than a couple cat who actually sprayed while in the litter box, now tell me another way to fix that?

I have had plenty of people judge me for having my cat Spaz(RB 2002, thank you MIL for killing her, and yes that is sarcasm) declawed. The situation was she was being extremely destructive toward humans with her claws. I had her attack my face and scratch all to heck while I was asleep, had her attack me full-out claws while sitting on the couch, attack with claws simply because you walked across the room. This was to the point of drawing serious blood, my boyfriend(now ex-husband) had to get stitches after one of her attacks. This was not normal cat scratching or attacks(like her attacking our feet at the end of the bed through the covers, that was normal and even cute), this was way beyond that, which is obvious from the measures we went through to stop this. We went to the vet and, after verifying she was in good health and ruled out anything medical we tried everything suggested(and yes we consulted multiple vets), from behavior modification, to behaviorists, to medication, to I can't even remember(this was like 9 or 10 years ago)we tried literally everything suggested to stop this behavior, shelled out money that we didn't have. She was never feral, we knew the person we got her from(and all her cats who were all well treated), she was raised inside a house, was very well socialized(she loved anyone and everyone). we had met both of Spaz's parents, and asked if her brother was having similar issues when this started(he wasn't.) She did this as a kitten(first time was while I was asleep and she was maybe 4 months old) through adulthood(obviously it took years before we exhausted everything.) Finally the vet had nothing else to offer but to declaw her. Yes, I know exactly what declawing is and how it is done, and what it involves but I had no other choice. It was either have her put to sleep(no rescue would or obviously could re-home her due to this and we couldn't keep her, we couldn't afford having to go to the doctor to get patched up all the time nor could we even think about having kids when she was so unpredictable) or get her declawed. I saw no reason to have her put to sleep since she was a healthy, happy, and loving cat when she wasn't attacking us for no reason, and yes it was for no reason, there was never a set pattern of when she would do it, remember we used a behaviorist to try and cure this and they(yes, we tried more than one) couldn't ever figure out why she was doing this or what was possibly setting her off. I mean why do you think we named her Spaz? This wasn't about saving my furniture, we had an old and obviously useless leather car phone(remember those from the '80s) case that we gave her to scratch and she used that, she never scratched a single bit of furniture that she wasn't allowed to. We had an old vinyl chair that boyfriend used at his computer that we hated with a passion so we let her use that until the chair finally and thankfully broke. She did pull stuffing out the recliner through a hole that was already there but she did that even after getting declawed, it was annoying because it made a mess but I could see my 7 year old doing the exact same thing when he was younger. This was about the fact that she was causing us to have to seek medical attention, multiple times because of these attacks. An ER even the cops in to interview me thinking my boyfriend was abusing me and I was lying to protect him and I got a psych evaluation to verify I wasn't crazy. She never used her teeth aggressively, just her claws. Go ahead and judge me, accuse me me of abusing my cat and tell me what I should have done instead of declawing her. Chances are I tried it and it didn't work.

These issues are not always black and white, there are many shades of gray. Just like people no two animals are the same and what worked for one might not work for another. Until you have experienced one of these issues don't judge how someone handles it. She has said it worked, she only had to do it twice and it hasn't harmed the cat in any way, either physically or mentally. I've been there and sometimes the only solution is not one you want to take but the one you have to because it works and solves the issue. When all conventional methods fail sometimes you have to try the unconventional ones. Tapping a cat on the bum and putting her nose to smell what she did is not abuse, she never said she was rubbing the cat's nose in it as far as I know, she was having the cat know what she got a tap on the bum for. Obviously the cat made the connection since the behavior ceased.

Taryn
Thank you so much my friend.

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to say I agree with Taryn. And in a lot of ways a GENTLE tap on the bum or on the nose isn't much different from Mumcat disciplining them as a baby. I use one finger to tap my kitties on the nose when they are trying to put their face in my food. It's just like their mother who would give them a little smack to tell them to stay away from something, or to tell them to stop a behavior, such as biting or clawing too hard. I am just doing what is in cat behavior, mimicking a natural response. I also accompany my taps with a low growl or a hiss, or at least a puff of air to their face.

My result? 4 very well behaved kitties who almost never try to steal food from your plate or beg (unless it's something exceptionally tempting, like shrimp or tuna), and 1 young kitty (smudge) who is learning -- slowly -- that snagging food off my plate is unacceptable.

I take it from your description that you're only giving her a single bump on the butt and making her smell the place she sprayed, after disrupting the undesired behavior. ANd I also understand that it's working. If this is the case, then I see nothing wrong with it. Again, good luck with everything, and extra good luck on getting her in shape and getting her spayed.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not care what excuse anyone gives me. I am never, ever going to agree that it is ok to slap any animal. Unless if you are being attacked by a bear or something, there is no reason for it. I am not trying to attack anyone, I am sorry if you feel that way. I am very passionate about this.

My 5 cats are well behaived most of the time. If they are up to no good I either make a hiss, growl, set them down, clap my hands, say "no", or call them to me.
--
Taryn, I can understand your decision. I do not see why anyone wouldn't, knowing what you tried to do. I agree, most people would not put up with that.
---
Mira's mommy, I would be more than happy to work with you to help you with your cat's issues. I will see if you made a thread about this, and post my suggestions there. I think this thread has went way off topic, sorry for aiding in that.

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Having 1 or 2 pets in general can sometimes be an issue, I can imagine 8 cats and a dog! I'm looking at houses now in the Colorado Springs area because that's where we're due to be stationed next (in a year) and a lot of places I've seen are dog friendly but not cat friendly, although I did see one that (and I love these conditions) take pets with no deposits BUT all pets must be spayed/neutered! Now THAT is something that I can agree to and think they should have in all housing. As far as deposits go, could you work something out with them that you'd pay extra to the rent each month (maybe 25-100$ more) till the pet deposits are paid off (I saw another place in CO that does that, no deposit but an extra 25$ per month per pet). Good luck.