Random episodes of salivation / foaming

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 12 mo cat has recently been treated for inflamed bowls.
She recived 3 shots of antibiotics (1 day each from 13-15.6.).

The episodes look like this - she suddenly starts shaking her head and tongue while chewing (and appears like she'ssurprised/confused by what'shappening), if shes anywhere but the floor, she will lower to the floor and continue to shake and chew while a bit of saliva will drip from her mouth and some foam (probably due to chewing and air hets trapped in the saliva..).... this lasts for a minute usually. Then the chewig starts to slow down and she looks more calm. Then she usually goes lie somewhere and grooms her mouth with her paw....

The first time I've noticed this was about a week ago.

Her bowl movements have looked normal since the end of therapy, but I'm concerned about this :(
Could it be a sign of upset stomach? What should I do?
Omg I must have been to the vet 10 times in the past 3 months :( (I have 2 cats, - 2 of those visits were due to claw injury)..

Any ideas what this could be? She's seemed a bit more calm than usual...
I know you're going to advise me to call the vet - I probably will hve to, I'm just scared they will say it's probably nothing or will tell me to bring her in for a check and then they wont find a way to treat her :(
This has happend at least 5 times (that I've noticed)

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may not know what I'm talking about, but this initially made me think of some kind of reflux issue.

By chance, I have encountered this among a couple of friends' cats. One involves foaming, and the other does not; but they both involve the cats basically looking like they have something foul-tasting in their mouths, and reacting accordingly. They both jump to the floor, smack their gums, stick out their tongue, have horrified looks on their faces, and crouch low to the ground while doing so.

I have come.to understand that this may not be a serious issue at all, but will probably involve dietary adjustments. Of course, this is not universal. Some cats may have more serious problems that create these issues, but that's not as likely.

That's the extent of my limited knowledge on the subject.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What does this cat eat? How often does she eat? Is there a particular meal that this happens with? As mentioned above, it could be some sort of acid reflux - often brought on by a cat going too long without eating whereby stomach acids build up that can even back up into the throat and mouth sometimes.

12mos old is quite young to have inflamed bowels. Is the vet talking about what might have caused it? The most common problem with a cat that young is a food intolerance. Is she eating the food you previously suspected might have something wrong with it?

What changes were made at the time, or immediately before, this salivation started?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What does this cat eat? How often does she eat? Is there a particular meal that this happens with? As mentioned above, it could be some sort of acid reflux - often brought on by a cat going too long without eating whereby stomach acids build up that can even back up into the throat and mouth sometimes.

12mos old is quite young to have inflamed bowels. Is the vet talking about what might have caused it? The most common problem with a cat that young is a food intolerance. Is she eating the food you previously suspected might have something wrong with it?

What changes were made at the time, or immediately before, this salivation started?
The vet said the inflamed bowels were probably from some virus we must have brought into the apartment with shoes maybe - since both cats had a bit more runny stools (but the other one didn't puke and his bowel movements normalized soon after).
They were getting the same food as always (Feringa pure meat kitten rabbit).

Knock, knock, but I haven't seen her have an episode in a long time.

I did though notice a bump on her head that she got while playing with the other cat didn't fully go away.....and now I'm worrying about that :(... I'm probably calling the vet tomorrow about the bump (she got it more than a month ago, but it didnt fully go away).

The episodes though were random and I couldnt notice a correlation to a specific food/time/event..

Thanks for everyones inputs. I don't think i got any notifications, sorry for the late replies