Ranch Kitty Eating Chicken Food

KittenBarn13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this is something I never thought anybody, much less myself, would ever need to ask about.

We have a flock of 5 chickens. They free feed on a layer grain, which changes between Nutrena NatureWise layer crumbles and Payback layer crumbles based on what the feed store has in stock. But they ain't the only ones who eat it. If I have the door of the coop open to let the chickens out, go in for maintenance, etc., the ranch kitties like to go in. Most of them are good. Sometimes they sit in the next boxes, sometime they sit on the roost, but Fez sits in the corner, waits for mice, and occasionally takes tiny nibbles of chicken feed. I stop him if I see it happen, but it continues the next time he's in there.

Is this something I should be concerned about? If it is, then how do I stop it?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think there's anything in chicken feed that would be harmful to a cat unless it was medicated feed. Chicken feed is grain-based. While grains aren't ideal for cats, it won't harm them. Do you feed the ranch cats commercial cat food or do they hunt for their own food?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't think of anything in chicken feed that would be harmful to a cat. However, I will say that barn cats typically hunt more if given one meal a day. If they are not fed, they only subsistence hunt...just enough to get by. With one meal provided, they will hunt for practice, as well as for food, with a higher kill rate per cat than subsistence hunters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenBarn13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think there's anything in chicken feed that would be harmful to a cat unless it was medicated feed. Chicken feed is grain-based. While grains aren't ideal for cats, it won't harm them. Do you feed the ranch cats commercial cat food or do they hunt for their own food?
They are pets first, workers second. They eat Purina One kibble, and each get about 1/3 large can of Friskiest daily

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenBarn13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't think of anything in chicken feed that would be harmful to a cat. However, I will say that barn cats typically hunt more if given one meal a day. If they are not fed, they only subsistence hunt...just enough to get by. With one meal provided, they will hunt for practice, as well as for food, with a higher kill rate per cat than subsistence hunters.
Mice aren't an emergency here, so we keep them nicely fed. Free feeding on Purina One kibble, Friskiest as a small meal daily. They're being fed well

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The crumble is anywhere between 16 and 22% protein. I actually buy dry cat food and give it to chickens in a winter time. Chickens gave me idea they are free range and first thing when let out go straight for the cat food (I leave dry for a passing stragglers) the protein may be the reason why they eat it.