Raising orphaned kitten; asking for play advice

yawaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found three neonatal kittens like less than two months ago, the mom came back and took two and left one. I waited a whole day for her to come back but she didn't so I decided to take him in. Now, almost eight weeks has passed and he is officially a demon from hell. His energy is boundless, I didn't think it was possible for that much energy to be stored in a tiny body.

Right now, his toys are a plushie he wrestles with, two wand toys he likes to chase; one with a long string, some bottle caps and tissue core rolls that he goes crazy for. I'm still looking into noisy toys and trying to find a way I can diy them like how I did with the wand toys. I'm doing a routine of play eat sleep a couple times a day, play usually lasts 15 to 30 minutes depending on his energy level. The things is a lot of times he's only sleep for like an hour or two before he'd wake up and be ready for another play session.

Although I never use my hands for when playing, he still has some issues with claws and teeth and he'd sometimes pounce on my hands and feet when he gets too excited. I think I might be getting the hang of teaching him bite inhibition though, the instant I feel something sharp I immediately squeal in the most annoying way possible. A week ago he didn't really notice when I did that but somehow now, he'd startled then stop which is a perfect window for redirecting his attention to a toy.

I'm trying my best to keep up with the play sessions, though I still feel like I could be doing better. Does anyone have any advice for orphaned kitty play? I heard that a second kitty is a good one but it's not for me since the idea of putting him up for adoption when he's ten weeks old is still in my mind, maybe it's a good idea to put him up for it now to someone who does have other kittens he can play with?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, if you are going to adopt him out. I would get on Facebook, explain what is happening, and see if anyone else has the same problem and needs him. You never know, and that would solve all problems!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, when he starts to play bite and claw, hiss at him like his mother cat would do. He will instinctively get the message after a couple of times. If you do keep him, he will calm down after being neutered, which you can have done any time now that he is two months. You can also trim the very tips of his claws. Sounds like you are doing a great job with him! :)