Raising A Bengal In A Very Hot And Humid Place. Help.

Naath23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boyfriend and I have recently added a Bengal fur baby to our family of fur babies and we would like to hear about your input.
We are from the country Maldives and it is extremely hot here all the time. Average temperature is as high as 30 degrees (81 Fahrenheit) , reaching up to 40 degrees.

The thing is, our Bengal Lyanna is from the first litter of, literally the first two Bengal cats to be brought to Maldives in 2016. (currently there are about total 11 Bengals in the whole country). While we already have two other cats, Lyanna (8 months old) is our first Bengal and since Maldives never had this breed of cats before, we just wanted to know if there are extra precautions to be aware of while raising a Bengal in such a hot place especially a place they aren't native to.

Also, she refuses to eat any dry food. Right now we are giving raw most of the time but it gets a bit pricey. Can you suggest some solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome! What fun for you!! To help keep all your cats cool, put ice in their water, keep their water fresh, keep bare floors or basement areas accessible and made tempting with a cardboard box on its side, fans to help circulate the air, elevate their beds, put some water in a plastic bottle and freeze that then put it in their favorite snooze places regularly, pet them with a damp cloth, don't use gel packs, don't let them into a conservatory or greenhouse, and brush them. Enjoy your cats and thanks for coming here!

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom has given really good advice for keeping cats fresh :)

My bengalish wisdom to share here is that bengal cats are actually well prepared for warm temperatures, being cats that do not have an undercoat and usually tolerate way better high temperatures than low ones. This is probably because the asian leopard cats selected to create the breed were the ones living in the warmer parts of Asia, that have tropical and subtropical habitats, as opposed to their beautiful longhaired counterparts in the cold areas. Breeds such as Egyptian Mhau may have contributed to make the bengal cat comfortable in reasonably warm enviroments.

So, my advice here is: don't panic! Enjoy your cat and have some ice-treats ready for the summer. You can freeze some wet or raw food using ice-trays, and then mix their food with one of these ice-treats to help keeping the food fresh.