Rabies Paranoia

swimmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure what to post this in, so sorry if this is wrong forum. Also, sorry this is long!

I rescued my cat about 8 years ago. Since then she has been indoor only. She has recevieved at least 5 rabies vaccine that I have papers for (maybe 6). The last one was a 3 year vaccine that unfortunately expired in summer 2016 (I swear in my head it was 2017, but I screwed up).

Anyway - she got out the other day somehow (housecleaner?) and was missing for 5-6 days. She was found a couple blocks away and did show up with a "wound of unknown origin" She received rabies booster the next day and examined by the vet. We were told to take her home and confine her for 6 months (the state guideline they had for "not currently vaccinated"), which we have done. I am kicking myself now for not requesting a rabies titer before the booster, but hindsight is 20-20

IN the meantime, I called the state. They informed me that new guidelines were sent out earlier this year and given she has proven history of vaccine, enve though expired, as soon as she received the booster she is considered currently vaccinated and just need to be observed for 45 days. (this is mostly based on the 2016 state vet compendium that is published). Regardless, given we have two young kids, I have kept her pretty much confined and been on edge.

However, I was petting her the other night and she went and lightly bit my hand when i stopped to get me to continue. This isn't abnormal communication for her but I had tried to be careful. I jerked my hand quickly out of fear and her tooth scraped across the top - maybe 2cm "scrape" and about pinprick or so of blood. I washed it immediately with very hot water, soap, etc.

It has been 4 days and she still seems normal so far (and my hand seems almost healed - and i also happened to be on antibiotic for strep already), but i'm not sure what to do! I'm paranoid! (again, i'm mom with two young kids).

I called the town Animal control, and they were confused and said "its the perfect storm" and "have never had a scenario like this" and not sure what to do. Ugh. They told me to call the state again and let them know what the state says (the town also only seemed to have the old information that didn't take into account she was vaccinated int he past being different than never vaccinated)

FYI - I live in Northeast so we do have rabies here, though I think my town reported 1 case (raccoon) last year that tested positive. I don;'t think there has been a recorded case this year so far

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, this is in the right section. I'm just a bit baffled as to what to tell you. The chances that you have contracted rabies are very slim, but that doesn't help, does it? Call your primary physician today if possible, if not, tomorrow. Tell him exactly what you have told us, and he can best advise you. PLEASE let us know how this goes!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Hi there & welcome to TCS! I understand your concerns but your cat is well vaccinated. I agree with the above post about checking with your doctor, just for peace of mind, although IMO, the odds are more likely that if it was your fate to get rabies, it would be from a bat or a raccoon or fox attack. I am really glad that your cat came back. Her more aggressive behavior may be a form of PTSD from her misadventures - feral cats as well as outside cats probably bruised her ego as well as "dusted her furs" a time or too, not to mention any dogs and other dangers that she has encountered. You might try some Feliway pherome spray and check out what Jackson Galaxy's website recommends.
Please keep us posted on what you are advised to do :vibes: