Rabies and combo Vaccine Reaction

Vijju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1.5 year old cat got her distemper and rabies shots together. She was fine for a week and suddenly became very lethargic since last Sunday (4 days ago). She is a very active cat but currently she just sleeps and is not interested in anything! Took her to the vet yesterday-blood work and X-ray were normal (some gas perhaps). He didn't think a delayed reaction was possible. I really think it's the vaccine!! What else could have gone wrong with a bubbly, cheerful 18- month- old baby? She's eating a little but totally inactive. I don't know what to do?? It is so distressing and sad to see her like this! Hope she feels better soon!

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
. My 1.5 year old cat got her distemper and rabies shots together. She was fine for a week and suddenly became very lethargic since last Sunday (4 days ago). She is a very active cat but currently she just sleeps and is not interested in anything! Took her to the vet yesterday-blood work and X-ray were normal (some gas perhaps). He didn't think a delayed reaction was possible. I really think it's the vaccine!! What else could have gone wrong with a bubbly, cheerful 18- month- old baby? She's eating a little but totally inactive. I don't know what to do?? It is so distressing and sad to see her like this! Hope she feels better soon!
Just so you know you are not alone, maybe you would like to look at this thread about similar experiences with vaccine delayed reactions. This thread link goes to the most recent posts, but you can go backward to read more.
DELAYED, prolonged vaccine reaction | Page 6 | TheCatSite

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is from the American Animal Hospital Association, with a caveat by them that post-vaccine reactions are probably underreported.

I'm including their hospital locator;
https://www.aaha.org/your-pet/hospital-locator/

"Adverse reactions within 30 days of vaccination were reported at a rate of 0.52% of cats vaccinated. The most commonly reported vaccine reactions are lethargy, anorexia and fever for a few days after vaccination, or local inflammation at the site of injection. In the Banfield Pet Hospital population, the risk of an adverse reaction was greatest in cats around 1 year of age and/or increased as the total volume of vaccine and number of vaccines administered concurrently increased."

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first had my cat Giada vaccinated in 2020, she had a bad reaction to the vaccine. She was lethargic for a couple of days and her temperature was a little high for one or two days.
When she was due for the booster a month later, I prepared her with some supplements, pills, to boost up her immune system. And they worked fine.
After that experience, every time I had to take my cats to the vet for their boosters, I supplement them with these pills starting two weeks before the appointment and continuing two weeks after that.