Quigley The Feral/stray

rayd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1 yr ago Quigley appeared out of nowhere i live in an area not safe for a cat near a daytime busy street with wetlands nearby..Feed him etc for 1 year, he came at night and early an 4am no traffic. brought him in 5 weeks ago. have done this many times 10-12? unfortunately couldn't neuter him for 4 weeks never waited that long hope i didnt hurt the process.. he hisses spits and growled alot before neuter (didnt bother me i just laugh it off).. now he lets me pet his head although he can hiss occasionally when i do it . i just watch him close so i can pull away if needed havnt had to yet. wont eat much in front of me yet but im working on that. I get close to him 1.5ft head at ground level, made a few mistakes at first ..1. to much light 2. no stinky t-shirt under food etc..biggest mistake people make is giving them to much room at first. Quigley is in a bathroom 8x10 hasnt tried to escape.. been using litter box since day 2!!! Blue buffalo walnut cat litter looks like dirt, put their initial poop ( his was in the sink) in the litter problem solved..i can really say this is week 1 (after neuter) the previous 4 dont really count to me since he was hyped up on testosterone..
KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON!! they sense your feelings they know your moods. pay no attention to them sometimes.. dont go in scared or nervous. DO NOT wear RED!!..
Lets see how things progress hoping he comes around.. Beautiful Long Black hair..14Lb Male.no fat on him Vet said..I feed him a good diet before he came in. LOL Biggest one I have ever done.. Anything i missed please chime in.. updates and pictures to follow..

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful boy! I love black kitties. You are doing great with him!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Quigley is gorgeous! Sounds like things are going well. Thanks for taking him in. :petcat:

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That boy has an I’m in charge look! Should be fun. Seems like your making such great progress.
Keep us posted on your adventures.

He’s really a good looking guy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rayd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Week 6 , but really week 2 after neuter i know i have to reset the clock since his neuter but just a bit of advice .. he really doesnt eat in front of me and still only stays under the toilet. He will watch me with his eyes and slightly turn away but thats about all i get from him.. not aggresive and lets me pet his head on occasion but just seems like hes in a standstill.. any thoughts?
Thanks

rayd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just looking for a little advice on above post?
thanks

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The things that worked for me with my two ferals was petting with something on a long handle and teaching them several words so I could communicate with them, like their names, dinner, treat.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your doing good, My Feral hides from me still, had her in since Jan 10
She doesn't have too many places to hide because I took them away, but she thinks she is hiding.
Can you put her in a room so she can get out of the bathroom?
Too soon?

rayd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hes been with me 6 weeks but only 2 weeks since neuter i leave the door to bathroom open to my bedroom but he hasnt ventured out yet..

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
very kool, I think your doing fine, I was freaking out but just talking to people here, it seems I'm doing ok.
Just takes awhile, It seems my cat doesn't like it inside but I think that is my perspective I have to think about what she was going through on the outside, the fights the constant looking over her shoulder and the cold, even tho I live in San Diego. I can tell my cat plays and roams around at night, maybe put a toy outside the bathroom door? or a snack

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Rayd, he's gorgeous! Looks my past cat Charlie. Loved that boy, was more of a dog than a cat. Hope he turns out just as wonderful! Sounds like you are doing great, just keep at it!! ❤ I've had my stray for 11 days now, first time ever. Like Maggie said, I dunked my whole hand into a jar of catnip and broke the ice regarding petting and beginnings of trust. Also, find treats that he will be crazy about. My boy loves the temptations beef or catnip but is not a fan of the soft ones or chicken. Can't wait for more! Especially more pictures of that beauty!

rayd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks yes will keep it up like i said only 2 weeks since neuter.. so I have to think the clock is reset from there will keep you posted..