Quick Question for the Catsperts Here!

alphakitty

Beeqie - Sly Kitty - 2017
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm administering Lufenuron to all my kitties (PetsNeedMeds...the guy is a California licensed pharmacist who now only sells flea remedies). I've used his products before and have found that it works and doesn't seem to harm my kitties.

Here's the question, does Friskies Tuna & Ocean Whitefish Shreds contain enough oil to support usage of Lufenuron?

Thanks in advance,

AlphaKitty

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It says give with wet food, which hopefully means wet food has enough oil. But to be safe you can put a teaspoon of olive oil or omega 3 oil from one capsule over the food too. I do have one question, however, is the flea infestation that bad where you live that oral meds must be continually given? I really don't believe in treating problems that aren't there. The med can build up in your cat, after all, it is a poison to interrupt the life cycle of fleas. I treat my cats when I see they are infected. I have had enough adverse reactions, including intense itching and all-over hair loss to not want to continuously use a med as a preventative. If the infestation is that bad, maybe try killing the fleas outside? I have had cats in my life for over 55 years and have only had a couple have fleas. And they were indoor/outdoor cats.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I, also, treat as needed. Hek is indoor-only, so I seldom need to, but once or twice a year I'll have a "hitchhiker" ride in on my pants leg when I've been out with the ferals, and I'll see my girl start to scratch.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also treat as needed but live beside an area filled with wildlife. Mosquitoes are a big issue along with parasites. Still, I treat the yard first. Cats as I need to do so. I do have one cat that is a feral rescued from outside and he did get heart worms so, take all factors into consideration when using anything. I like to do a rotation of the preventatives that I use but from what I have read, lufenuron kills the new fleas but not adults. If no adults are present, you may not need it? Full stomach is needed so perhaps adding the olive oil to protect the kitties would be the best idea. When in doubt, always ask the prescribing vet to put your mind at ease ;)