Quick! I need ideas on how to doctor a boxed golden cake mix for tonight.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have a box of golden cake mix and a tub of chocolate icing in my pantry. I want to bake cupcakes for Halloween tomorrow (for a party at work).

I don't have time today to get to the store to buy any ingredients I don't have.  It has to be stuff I already have.

don't  have:

Sour cream

Cream cheese

Nuts

Pudding mix

Whole milk (I only have a small amount of skim)

Can anyone give me easy ideas on how to fancy up the cupcakes? The only thing I can think of is the Halloween sprinkles I found in my pantry!

Thanks!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could decorate with Halloween candy   ..  Candy Corn  , Candy Pumpkins , Gummy Worms   etc.....

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
At this point I would make the mix as directed and fist the cupcakes with the icing. Do you have confectioners sugar? You could make a thick glaze and may be-able o put it in circles on the chocolate icing and then draw a toothpick through to make spiderwebs....or put the sprinkles on and make little ghost cut outs from white paper and attach to toothpicks to decorate.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Or make some thick white icing. Put two circles on top of chocolate icing, then 2 chocolate chips in the middle of the white for eyeballs.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, I like the idea of just using your Halloween sprinkles over fluffy white frosting. 

Or, make your frosting Color your frosting orange. If you have a decorating kit, frost them with a pretty design. Use your sprinkles on top.

Have any paper doilies? Cut them down to size. Make your cupcakes, let them cool, place a doily on top and sprinkle cocoa over the doily for a design.

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Make the cupcakes as directed.
Improvise for decorations. I seen a Cat Face at Meijer, but I could not find a pic online.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!  I should have been more specific about ideas on what to add to the actual batter--sorry. As I only have chocolate icing, there isn't much I could do with that, but DH brought home some candy corn (Yuck! I like the colors and the smell, but hate the taste--pure SUGAR.) He wanted to put plastic vampire fangs in the doughnuts' holes, and use the the candy corn for "eyes". However, he didn't like the look of the candy corn, and gave it to me. I may decorate the icing with it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's probably too late but adding mayo to cake mix batter helps.  Adding a little lemon juice helps cut the sweetness.