Quick cooking question - Whipped cream

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm making a cake for tomorrow that gets frosted with real whipped cream. I am trying to as much of the cooking as I can done today because tomorrow will also be busy. Am I better off waiting until tomorrow morning to whip the cream and frost the cake or do you think it would be OK if I did it today?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'd wait until early tomorrow morning, but that's just me. It will just be fresher that way and that way, I don't worry about the whipped cream de-stabilizing on the cake overnight. Whenever I'm using whipped cream for a frosting, I do the morning of the day I plan to serve it. Put your bowl and mixing utensils in the freezer overnight. Not the cream, just the bowl and utensils. It will help whip the cream faster...but you probably already knew that.

Again, this is just my opinion.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL That reminded me of one time I made a chocolate pudding pie with whipped topping. I used the canned whipping cream and put on top so prettily and put in the fridge... BUT.................................when I came back a couple of hours later, we had pudding pie with a thin layer of cream on top. Not a pretty or appetizing site!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree to wait as long as possible. Also, if you whip the cream with powdered sugar (confectioner's or icing sugar) it seems to hold its shape better than when using granulated. Don't forget to chill the bowl and beaters first, too.

Yum, what kind of cake is it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks ladies! I sort of knew I needed to wait until tomorrow, but I was hoping someone would tell me it was OK to do it today. :lol3: Thanks for the reminder on putting the bowl and beaters in the freezer. I'll be frazzled tomorrow, so could forget so I will do that today. :)

This is the cake I am making:

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/almond-joy-layer-cake

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least with whipped cream, it's easy to shove a bowl and beaters in front of someone else and get them to do it while you're doing other stuff :)

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The cake looks great; let us know how it turns out!

I'm baking today too; I'm a little worried I'm going to run out of something and have to run over to the grocery store (I really, really don't want to go there today!).

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my the cake looks yummy!

My problem with the cake: there's only 2 of us in this house. DH hates coconut. DH also is completely indifferent to cake. He's a pie eater. I would have to eat the entire cake. Hey wait a minute, what's the problem?!?!?!? :lol3: