Questions to ask vet?

gomie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Gomez, is going in for and endoscopy consult tomorrow. The vet suspects he may have IBD of lymphoma, so the endoscopy is to verify what's really going on and how to move forward with treatment.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to go to the consult tomorrow due to work. My fiance is taking Gomez in. I'm a little more in-tune with the situation, so I want to make sure that my fiance asks the right questions. I'm going to put together a little cheat sheet for my fiance to take with him, including a list of Gomez's symptoms and current food and meds.

What questions would you suggest asking at an endoscopy consult?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Endoscopy Gastrointestinal In Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals.
This article is useful for "what if", such as will a biopsy be performed via the endoscopy, what if nothing abnormal is seen?

Gastrointestinal Endoscopy in Dogs and Cats - MedVet

Chronic Vomiting in Cats: When to Recommend Endoscopy - Today's Veterinary Practice

I have found that the quickest way to formulate questions is to read some information from sites which discuss procedures. In your case, just so you don't get the impression that this will take forever, you can probably start reading halfway down in all the articles, maybe even further than that. You already made the decision, you know that IBD or lymphoma is suspected, and Gomez has already shown symptoms, so you don't need to refresh your information on any of that.

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
This is a very informative website for IBD.

Lymphoma In Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals
Information on lymphoma

One point that may come up is additional diagnostics, but I don't think that your fiance will need to address that on the spot, nor medications or ongoing treatment.

Please let us know what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gomie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Endoscopy Gastrointestinal In Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals.
This article is useful for "what if", such as will a biopsy be performed via the endoscopy, what if nothing abnormal is seen?

Gastrointestinal Endoscopy in Dogs and Cats - MedVet

Chronic Vomiting in Cats: When to Recommend Endoscopy - Today's Veterinary Practice

I have found that the quickest way to formulate questions is to read some information from sites which discuss procedures. In your case, just so you don't get the impression that this will take forever, you can probably start reading halfway down in all the articles, maybe even further than that. You already made the decision, you know that IBD or lymphoma is suspected, and Gomez has already shown symptoms, so you don't need to refresh your information on any of that.

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
This is a very informative website for IBD.

Lymphoma In Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals
Information on lymphoma

One point that may come up is additional diagnostics, but I don't think that your fiance will need to address that on the spot, nor medications or ongoing treatment.

Please let us know what happens.
Thank you! This is all very helpful. I will definitely keep you in the loop. I appreciate everyone's help and support here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gomie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My fiance called me right after the consult and said that Gomez did well. He said that the doctor is very personable, patient, listening, and seems very competent. My fiance says he trusts the doctor.

I did send a sheet of notes with my fiance with a summary of Gomez's stats, current meds and food, and symptoms. I also put several questions on the sheet. I asked my fiance to use the sheet as notes, but he said that the doctor read over my paper and was very appreciative to have it. That makes me feel so good, because I'm feeling a little Helicopter-Parenty right now. I think the doctor appreciated all of the info and questions, and he actually took the time to type up a response for me to have. I'm feeling so grateful.

The doctor is recommending we move forward with the endoscopy, so we are trusting his judgement. The appointment is scheduled for April 19th. I will be grateful to have answers. <3

1649435611450.png

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The doctor sounds thorough and willing to communicate with you which is always desirable. You have an answer regarding a biopsy during the endoscopy which is definitely important to know. April 19 is not far off and I understand what you mean about being happy to have an answer and to proceed from there.