Questions regarding cats skin after PU surgery

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been through the ringer. I’ve posted here a few times, but after 5 months of issues we finally got his urinary problems sorted. Then we were dealing with him overgrooming his legs and feet after taking the cone off, but now we have gotten that figured out. We are currently at almost 2 months post surgery. Today he went to the bathroom (and it was normal), and after cleaned himself, licking his surgery area/butt for MAYBE all of 5 seconds. He wasn’t aggressive about it at all, but after he was done I inspected the area and right above his new urinary opening the skin looked pretty irritated. I had inspected the area earlier in the day and it was not like this, so I know it was caused by his few seconds of licking. I plan on calling the hospital that did his surgery to ask some questions tomorrow, but has anyone else dealt with this? It seems as if the skin in the area above his new opening is extra delicate, so much so to the point that a few licks was enough to cause visible irritation. Is this normal? Does the skin strengthen over time? To clarify, it’d be JUST above his new opening, between the opening and his rectum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Could you dab a little bag balm or coconut oil on it?
We have, I’m just more or less concerned that it can go from normal to irritated in only a handful of non aggressive licks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats tongues have those little nibs on them which can irritate tender skin.
Oh definitely, I’m just curious if anyone else has had this experience, and it overtime the skin strengthens and becomes less tender

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
9 Days Post Spay
This isn't the same situation, except that just a few licks caused a fair bit of irritation.

I think that the skin should toughen up over time.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never had a cat who needed PU surgery, so what I am saying is from discussions with those who have. I am under the impression that in the surgery itself, there is some stretching of the skin in order to make whatever accommodation is needed to correct the problem. This thinner skin is easily damaged, so the licking could be causing what you are seeing.

I recall you had other questions about sutures previously. Please talk to your vet; you are not bothering them and, if nothing else, think about how much you paid for all of this in order to help your cat. What you are seeing might not be cause for concern, but better to find that out from the vet.

Please let us know what happens.

Patthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy had his PU 6 years ago, and it’s hard to get a good look with all the fur growth-but his skin is still pretty tender in that area. He grooms down there a lot after he pees- The urine kind of shoots out of him now and his fur can get pretty wet. So grooming has definitely increased post PU, but I wouldn’t say in an excessive or compulsive way. He just needs a little extra care down there. So with that his skin does get irritated on the PU site and really has never ‘looked normal’ again. It’s always pretty pink and not the prettiest thing to look at. I know it’s worrying to see, but we picked up other ‘tells’ of his to monitor for UTIs- in and out of the litter box. It’s hard to monitor for normal when there’s nothing normal about this surgery and essentially new anatomy.