Questions about my pregnant cat

catblue83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat got outside for 2 days in may , and came back pregnant. She is on day 63 or 64, and 3 days ago lost what i think was the mucus plug. I have no experience with cat pregnancies so i am worried for her. she has had very light bleeding since the mucus plug came out, but her personality is still the same. Is the bleeding normal? it only happened yesterday. And ive read that after the mucus plug comes out she should give birth within 24 hours, but its been 3 days, almost 4. this would be her first time giving birth so im not sure if that has anything to do with it but i am worried for her. i still feel kittens moving around. she has also been very grumpy towards our other animals and tries to fight them so i have her in my room now. does anyone know if the bleeding was normal? and any advice on what to do when the kittens are born? thank you :angelcat:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the blood bright read or pinkish? How much blood is there? Is it steady?

In general, the mucus plug can be lost up to a week prior to labor and delivery, but red blood is concerning.

Do you still see kitten movement?

A vet should assess her if bright red bleeding continues.

C catblue83

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catblue83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the blood bright read or pinkish? How much blood is there? Is it steady?

In general, the mucus plug can be lost up to a week prior to labor and delivery, but red blood is concerning.

Do you still see kitten movement?

A vet should assess her if bright red bleeding continues.

C catblue83
it is not steady, its just light spotting and not bright red, its more pinkish, and yes i see and feel kittens moving around, theyve been moving a lot more today and shes stopped eating as much

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pinkish is exactly what it should be. It sounds like she is heading in the right direction, so just wait it out. She will probably have her kittens in the next day or two.

When you begin seeing ripples down her sides, those are contractions. Stage one lasts a good 24 hours, then pushing begins.

Keep us posted!

catblue83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi! she still hasnt had any kittens and im worried. i still feel them moving and she doesnt seem to be in pain or discomfort, she is acting the same but has been more vocal today.

catblue83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also, we are currently living with a family member we arrived 3 days ago and she is really stressed because of their dog. i have her in a seperate room but he is super hyper and constantly barking. i know moving is not good for pregnant cats and it is probably stressing her out a ton but i had no choice i feel really guilty still seeing how stressed it makes her, maybe this is delaying the birth? i plan on taking her to a vet in the next few days if she doesnt have any by then. i have to move again on the 18th and i feel awful for stressing her out. usually she is fine with moving etc and loves other animals but throughout her pregnancy she has been very territoral of me and our other cat and growls when anyone is near me

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Obviously this is not ideal for a mom nearing the end. Just make sure she feels safe and has a protected space (such as an enclosed box with only a door cut out on one end) to have her kittens. If she has them before you move, be sure to move the whole family inside a pet taxi and not the box. If she gets nervous she could get out of the box and make a run for it, leaving her babies for you to hand-raise.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, try a box fan (with the breeze from it directed away from her) or a white noise machine to try and deaden the sound of the barking. Put a thick towel along the bottom of the door, again to try and decrease the level of noise. She'll still be aware but maybe a little less stressed.

You might also look into over-the-counter calming products, --I believe the online retailer Only Natural Pet has some that wouldn't harm a pregnant mama but be sure and check the product guidelines.

Music For Cats could also help. Hopefully the dog calms down soon :vibes::crossfingers::heartshape:

catblue83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi guys! thank you for all of the help, she calmed down a lot and just had a kitten an hour ago. she woke me up and had it right next to my head :catlove: i will update if any more come! the baby is latching on and seems healthy

catblue83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are mom and babies today?
theyre good! my grandmother weighed them last night and this morning and said theyre gaining weight. ones already starting to open an eye so im not sure if thats normal, she did have them on day 72 though